Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   EAA witness .40 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/eaa-witness-40-a-84118/)

Randy40TX 02-13-2013 05:14 PM

EAA witness .40

I recently took a training at the gun range and came across a EAA .40 what do y'all think of this pistol ? Is there any know problems with this model ? It was the full size Witness .40. Thank you

Overkill0084 02-13-2013 07:47 PM

They are pretty decent pistols. I have a Witness Elite Match in .45, it's a keeper.
The positives:
Accurate & reliable and it looks good.
Essentially a copy of the proven CZ design.
The fact that you can order caliber conversion kits is attractive too.

The negatives:
EAA CS has developed a reputation for douchiness on occasion. OTOH, I've not needed anything from them.
They aren't really that popular. Fine, you say? Accessories and parts aren't growing on trees. When you do find stuff, it's not cheap.
They have experienced price creep. Screaming bargain? Not as much as they used to be. There are some good pistols sharing their price range. Stoeger Cougar comes to mind.

hardluk1 02-14-2013 07:07 PM

I had an elit match also . very accurate with the option of buying other upper kits in 5 differnt calibers too. Way to heavy for carry but a heck of a match /range pistol.

Check out henningshootsguns for everthing witness. brian enos forum for a more competive shootes witness site.

B5Dan 02-16-2013 11:52 PM

I'd take my elite match over anything in its price range. Great gun. I've got the 10mm and it shoots like a dream. It really doesn't get much better at that cost, and I've paid more for less pistol. As for accessories, what is there? It's got a pic rail, and there's plenty of sights and grips for it.

CaseyChadwell 02-17-2013 03:30 AM

The ones I have had have been great firearms. The reason I don't havebone now is because the slides are so short. My big hands have trouble gripping something that small...prolly the reason I pee on the wall. ;)

lbwar15 02-17-2013 03:34 AM

I was looking at them in 10mm. I've seen a lot of people say the frames crack on them to often to trust it in the 10mm.

B5Dan 02-17-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15
I was looking at them in 10mm. I've seen a lot of people say the frames crack on them to often to trust it in the 10mm.

People do talk. But I've run a pretty good amount of the 165gr "hot" stuff (like underwood) through mine. No trouble. A recoil spring upgrade and a Henning's cone fit guide rod are cheap and lessen frame stress.

hardluk1 02-17-2013 04:32 PM

Older pistols broke more often not so much with the new ones. You do still need to up the weight of the recoil spring if shooting hotter ammo. Thats something some don't do and they can pay for it.