Duracoating handguns - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Duracoating handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

I kind of compare that picture to a picture of a cheeseburger you see at Jack In The Box----- Always looks a little different when its served up to you
Yea, meat slid halfway off the bun, bun smashed like it was run over by a mack truck and way to much sauce on it, squirting out one side...lol

Well i figured having it done by a gunsmith would ensure better results.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 07-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #22
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 350 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibewiggin View Post
Ceracoat is a lot more durable. Especially if you use the bake on type.
I do the bake type cerakote and it is more durable than duracoat. I can do for you exactly what you like. Just visit my site or PM me.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think cerakote, may be the most durable finish out there. I do not how ever agree with pink, blue, orange, etc. Guns should never look like toys, and toys should never look like guns. My $.02 worth.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #24

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Yea, meat slid halfway off the bun, bun smashed like it was run over by a mack truck and way to much sauce on it, squirting out one side...lol

Well i figured having it done by a gunsmith would ensure better results.
Yup- thats it

Now my gunsmith did show me one about like the one pictured he had just finished & it looked great! Only thing is i have no idea how it held up with use

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #25

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

That's my biggest concern with any of the finishes. I don't know how well it will hold up going in and out of my serpa holster and firing it.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

For a stainless slide I recommend bead blasting. It will give you a nice satin finish.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default DC Application

For you guy's that have problems with your DC peeling, flaking etc, listen up. If you have the above mentioned issues, it is because you did not properly prep the piece. The firearm must be COMPLETELY disassembeled and degreased. The pieces to be coated should also be bead blasted with 120 grit aluminum oxide and even better park it after blasting. You can get a good job without blasting, but you need to follow the instructions. Oil hides around pins and rivets. The joint where the barrel screws into the receiver also traps oil and you have to get it out. All finishes wear. DC is not as wear resistant as Cerakote, but it's a lot tougher than bluing. DC can be touched up later and Cerakote cannot. I use both depending on the look I want and the use the piece will see. Heat cure Cerakote would be my choice for a carry gun. DC will last a long time on a hunting rifle or pistol that is not carried. My Colt is Cerakote with Duracoat in the slide sides. I wanted them shiney and Cerakote has no gloss. Ken

Old 07-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #28

I did a 1911 using engine paint that I baked on. Three thin coats and it has held up very well. That paint is tough. I used the cast iron color and it is neat. The key is in cleaning and degreasing. I used brake cleaner on a disassembled gun before painting and baking at 400 degrees for 30 minutes each coat.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #29

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by joken View Post
For you guy's that have problems with your DC peeling, flaking etc, listen up. If you have the above mentioned issues, it is because you did not properly prep the piece. The firearm must be COMPLETELY disassembeled and degreased. The pieces to be coated should also be bead blasted with 120 grit aluminum oxide and even better park it after blasting. You can get a good job without blasting, but you need to follow the instructions. Oil hides around pins and rivets. The joint where the barrel screws into the receiver also traps oil and you have to get it out. All finishes wear. DC is not as wear resistant as Cerakote, but it's a lot tougher than bluing. DC can be touched up later and Cerakote cannot. I use both depending on the look I want and the use the piece will see. Heat cure Cerakote would be my choice for a carry gun. DC will last a long time on a hunting rifle or pistol that is not carried. My Colt is Cerakote with Duracoat in the slide sides. I wanted them shiney and Cerakote has no gloss. Ken
Just not the case in 100% of scenarios. I followed the instructions to the letter. I used rubber gloves to keep my finger prints from touching the prepped metal. And I started out with a gun that had been fully parkerized, which Lauer says is the IDEAL surface for Duracoat to adhere to. I even let the finish cure a couple days longer than the instructions said.

I'm glad you had good results with your Duracoat. But just because you did, doesn't mean that everyone else will too. And when I say I followed the instructions to the letter, I mean to the LETTER. Bottom line.....YMMV!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:06 AM   #30

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Where does one buy these Duracoat air blasting kits at.? I was just wondering if YouTube has any videos on how to use those kits etc.?