Duracoating handguns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Duracoating handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Duracoating handguns

I really want to customize my gun to where my polymer frame is OD green and the slide is flat black but don't want to pay a fortune. At the same time I want a quality job that holds up and doesn't chip or scratch in and out of the holster. Anyone have any experience with the duracoat shake and spray?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Duracoat goes on easy. Even if you have never used an airbrush the kit is still easy to use. My buddy just got one of the kits and it was the first time he ever held an airbrush and his glock slide is now beautifully coated in od green. Just follow the directions and put it on thin.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #3

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I did a two-tone theme on a Citadel 1911 and the results were very mediocre. The finish started flaking off the heads of the pins and face of the hammer. Then it started wearing off all the edges. I'd use it again in a pinch if I bought a gun that was in terrible condition. But other than that, I would not recommend it.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #4

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I asked about this as well a while back. My H&K P7 is rusting on one side in spite do my best efforts. I think I will have to take it to a pro as the rust and bluing will probably have to. Be removed before a new coating is put on.

I think a dura coat will cover up the unique proof marks but I carry this gun in the summer and I need something more durable.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #5

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I think it'll be fine on the polymer part but I was very unimpressed with the results on a couple of steel guns i applyed it to

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I did one in a desert tan frame and flat black slide.

Where the parts rub together, the metal is showing. But I've had the same thing with parkerized handguns.

I did kitchen cabinet door "pulls" in a "brushed stainless" over 5 years ago (the wife liked the color I was doing a frame in.) So far, no problems noted.

The key is preparation and follow instructions to the letter. And keep some extra just in case touch-ups are needed later.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #7

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752
I asked about this as well a while back. My H&K P7 is rusting on one side in spite do my best efforts. I think I will have to take it to a pro as the rust and bluing will probably have to. Be removed before a new coating is put on.

I think a dura coat will cover up the unique proof marks but I carry this gun in the summer and I need something more durable.
No, don't Duracoat the P7. Either have it reblued or use an actual treatment such as Hard Hat or IonBond instead of using a spray on finish.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ceracoat is a lot more durable. Especially if you use the bake on type.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
I think it'll be fine on the polymer part but I was very unimpressed with the results on a couple of steel guns i applyed it to
The slide is the part I don't like lol. It's the nickel plated or whatever. I'm not a big fan of shiny I wanted all black but to get my gun in all black
I would've had to purchase it used for fifty more dollars than I paid for a new one lol.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #10

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You didn't state what kind of pistol it is and what finish the slide is in.

If it's like this one, is the slide flat black enough for you? Is so, you can paint just the frame and maybe get the results you want.

I've Duracoated several handguns and they've all turned out and lasted well. I didn't use the shake and spray, though. I used the kit that came with a little airbrush and compressed air can.

I used the shake and spray on a rifle stock and it seemed fine, but it certainly isn't prone to the kind of wear and tear a pistol would go through.