Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Duracoat + Carry Gun = ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/duracoat-carry-gun-35581/)

BigByrd47119 12-14-2010 10:11 AM

Duracoat + Carry Gun = ?

Hello Everyone!

SO I was really considering getting my P-11 Duracoated. My biggest issue with this is Im unsure of how well it will hold up to carry conditions. If I did get her duracoated, I would probably go threw Goldenloki.com, which more or less gets rave reviews as far as I can tell. Yes, the guns are pretty, but thats not the issue, and the apperance seems to be what everyone rates this gentleman on.

Does anyone out there have any experiance with this that might be able to shed some light on the situation for me?

Thanks!
BigByrd47119

danf_fl 12-14-2010 12:25 PM

The nice thing about duracoat is that, if needed, you can redo it again.

The key is preparation. I have not had any issues with the duracoated guns.

Give us some after pics.

pointblank4445 12-18-2010 09:51 PM

A good friend of mine had a Rem 700 duracoated. I was not overly impressed with the finish over time. I know for a fact that he cares for his guns and doesn't use them excessively. I will admit that the fella that did the coating had not done too many guns before this. The coating began chipping and flaking on the bolt knob and near the safety.

I just recently saw a video with cerakoted products being abused. I would give them a look should I require a finish of this type in the future.

As for holding up for day to day carry, I have had 1911's that were:
Blue, ion bonded, Roguard, NP3, and stainless. All showed some wear from my leather holsters. I am a huge advocate of the NP3 because in addition to being a quality finish, you get the benefits of its natural lubricity.

DrumJunkie 12-18-2010 11:54 PM

If it's done properly the finish is as tough as it needs to be.

M14sRock 12-19-2010 02:30 AM

I always like my guns after they get a little wear on them. Try the DuraCoat and see how it wears.

JonM 12-19-2010 02:32 AM

the key to duracoat is after proper application waiting 45-60 days for the coating to fully harden before shooting the gun. i would take or send it to an experienced duracoater.

i had my 10/22 reciever coated pink and let it sit for a full 60 days before assembling the rifle. so far i have run maybe 1k rounds through it in the last 6 months. looks just as good as when i had it done. but thats not really the same as carry piece that is going to face constant rubbing.

im not sure i would choose duracoat for a carry piece. my limited experience with it is telling me to be careful with my 10/22 to keep it looking nice. it just doesnt feel as rugged a coating as say nitrite on my rem 700 xcr

willfully armed 12-19-2010 02:50 AM

Cerakote on a carry piece might yield the best longevity of finish.

Dgunsmith 12-19-2010 03:22 AM

A true industrial grade finish like NP-3 or BearCoat will last and last as they are fully cured when you get them back.....unlike Duracoat.

It is a hobbyist finish that lacks durability as it is air cured and takes far too long to cure. Great advertising campaign for Sherwin Williams paint.

BigByrd47119 12-20-2010 04:29 AM

Thanks everyone!

It looks like most everyone has confirmed my suspicions in some way or another.

How reasonably priced are these other options? One of the biggest reasons I was attracted to Duracoat was because of the low cost high visual appeal. Of course none of that matters if it isn't going to stand up in the long run.

Where do I meet in the middle between quality and price on these other suggestions?

JiroZero713 12-21-2010 02:54 PM

Check with Missionspec Camo

Best duracoaters in the business.