Dual-Action Pistol Dry-Firing

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Dual-Action Pistol Dry-Firing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dual-Action Pistol Dry-Firing

I own a SIG Sauer P226 9mm and I occasionally dryfire to practice most of the fundamentals and so that I stay ready and familiar with the weapon. However, it's kind of a pain having to re-cock the hammer every single time I pull the trigger so that I can practice in single action. As far as I know, the only other alternative is to rack the slide but then that ejects one of my 5 snap-caps... Is there any way around this or do you have any related tips?

I figure I should practice in single-action for now because that is how the majority of rounds are fired when actually shooting AND I'm still relatively new and single-action is easier on the finger.

Thanks for your advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Actually, you're much better served to practice in DA as that is the long heavy trigger pull - and it's also the method that will be used for the crucial first shot. Lots of dry firing in DA tends to smooth out the trigger pull as well.

To answer your question - either cock the hammer or rack the slide...

Old 12-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2863 Times on 1491 Posts
Likes Given: 254

The Sigs are safe to dry fire. The method I used to master the DA-SA trigger was to do what I call "draw, double tap". Shoot one round DA and one round SA. Decock and holster. One box of ammo a week for about 8 weeks and I had it down pat. My fast double taps were nearly touching at 10 yards.

Dry fire DA and shoot a few boxes of ammo and you will be pretty good at it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2962 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

you will build muscle memory and smooth out the action, too.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Actually, you're much better served to practice in DA as that is the long heavy trigger pull - and it's also the method that will be used for the crucial first shot. Lots of dry firing in DA tends to smooth out the trigger pull as well.

this is true. my little bersa thunder plus da trigger is pretty sweet for a low cost handgun

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post

Great point. I keep pre-cocking at the range and this will hold true for house defense situations, but eventually, I may carry due to my profession and I'll need to know how to shoot well in DA too.