Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Dual-Action Pistol Dry-Firing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/dual-action-pistol-dry-firing-35664/)

NewGunz 12-16-2010 06:20 PM

Dual-Action Pistol Dry-Firing

I own a SIG Sauer P226 9mm and I occasionally dryfire to practice most of the fundamentals and so that I stay ready and familiar with the weapon. However, it's kind of a pain having to re-cock the hammer every single time I pull the trigger so that I can practice in single action. As far as I know, the only other alternative is to rack the slide but then that ejects one of my 5 snap-caps... Is there any way around this or do you have any related tips?

I figure I should practice in single-action for now because that is how the majority of rounds are fired when actually shooting AND I'm still relatively new and single-action is easier on the finger.

Thanks for your advice.

NGIB 12-16-2010 06:42 PM

Actually, you're much better served to practice in DA as that is the long heavy trigger pull - and it's also the method that will be used for the crucial first shot. Lots of dry firing in DA tends to smooth out the trigger pull as well.

To answer your question - either cock the hammer or rack the slide...

robocop10mm 12-16-2010 07:21 PM

The Sigs are safe to dry fire. The method I used to master the DA-SA trigger was to do what I call "draw, double tap". Shoot one round DA and one round SA. Decock and holster. One box of ammo a week for about 8 weeks and I had it down pat. My fast double taps were nearly touching at 10 yards.

Dry fire DA and shoot a few boxes of ammo and you will be pretty good at it.

danf_fl 12-16-2010 08:23 PM

you will build muscle memory and smooth out the action, too.

JonM 12-16-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 404187)
Actually, you're much better served to practice in DA as that is the long heavy trigger pull - and it's also the method that will be used for the crucial first shot. Lots of dry firing in DA tends to smooth out the trigger pull as well.

this is true. my little bersa thunder plus da trigger is pretty sweet for a low cost handgun

NewGunz 12-20-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 404187)

Great point. I keep pre-cocking at the range and this will hold true for house defense situations, but eventually, I may carry due to my profession and I'll need to know how to shoot well in DA too.