Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > DRY-FIRE question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default DRY-FIRE question

Hey guy I'm new to this forum & am lookin' for a answer that I probably should know. I'm about to buy a BRYCO ARMS model Jennings 9mm inspite of all the bad things i've heard, the price is so low it's worth the risk to me. The question I have is that the pistol won't dry-fire. The owner says that these guns don't dry-fire...sounds fishy to me. Anyway if anyone could shed a little light on this situation I'd much appretiate it. Thanks for lookin'.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

This IS fishy.
Jennings/ Bryco are now known as Jimenez. As far as I know, not many changes have been made to the design, they WILL dry fire.
However they will not cock while the safety is on, the slide can be pulled back, but it will not go back far enough to cock, or chamber a round. The safety must be in the FIRE position to chamber a round, or cock the mechanism.
I would not go through with this sale.
If you must have a Jennings/Bryco/Jimenez, they can be bought brand new for around $100.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #3

Default Thats what i was thinkin'

Thanks for the reply, I'm gonna pass on it. I don't know a ton about guns but it seems if it wont dry-fire then it wont work with a round in the chamber. It will cycle the entire clip through the gun so I know it's being pulled back far enough to cock. If you look at the trigger there is no movement in it when u cock it, it has the same little bit of wiggle whether it's chambered or empty. It's nice to be able to run these things by other enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:10 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

They will dry fire. What he was probably trying to tell you is that is so cheaply made that it will break if you dry fire it.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:32 AM   #5

Default Thast is normal, no dry fire.

The trigger works only when the magazine is inserted and a round is chambered, furthermore if there is a round chambered and the magazine is ejected, the pistol won't fire.

Lets say the pistol is a 9+1, and you want to carry a full load (10 rounds).
First you put a bullet in the magazine, insert the magazine, chamber a round, then pull the magazine out to insert the other nine bullets.
While you are doing the, the trigger mechanism is disabled as a security measure, this is done because the trigger pull on this type of weapon is very short .

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Old 10-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Yeah..I think those things wont work without a mag inserted.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-30-2010, 05:24 AM   #7

Default ?????????????????

I know its not the safest but i kept my finger on the trig to see if it got harded with a round chambered and there was no tension on the trigger at all. I dont understand, plus im getting 2 answers here. Some say it should and others say no. And you all sound like you know what your talking about. I give up, thanks for the help anyway. Much appretiated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
The trigger works only when the magazine is inserted and a round is chambered, furthermore if there is a round chambered and the magazine is ejected, the pistol won't fire.

Lets say the pistol is a 9+1, and you want to carry a full load (10 rounds).
First you put a bullet in the magazine, insert the magazine, chamber a round, then pull the magazine out to insert the other nine bullets.
While you are doing the, the trigger mechanism is disabled as a security measure, this is done because the trigger pull on this type of weapon is very short .

Last edited by QuickCobalt1; 10-30-2010 at 05:28 AM.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:26 AM   #8

Default Lol

Funny! No he was saying this particular brand DOSE NOT DRY FIRE. Which I dont understand but others seem to think thats the way it gose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win73 View Post
They will dry fire. What he was probably trying to tell you is that is so cheaply made that it will break if you dry fire it.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Don't buy cheap crap. I don't care if it's a car, gun, hammer, you name it. Cheap crap is cheap crap.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #10

If you're gonna go with a cheapie at least get a Hi-Point !
If you can do better please do. If funds are the problem save a bit and get a Taurus, they are good quality guns that won't break the bank ! EAA is another option. They are made by Tangfolio based on the Browning Hi-Power and CZ-75 design. These are good guns for the money as well. They can be a bit bulky, but they work just fine and hold a lot of rounds. Their 10 mm is pretty popular.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Last edited by FreedomFighter69; 10-30-2010 at 01:59 PM.