Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > To dry fire or not, that is the question........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

I put a penny in the top of the frame and dry fire tryingto keep it there. Good practice away from the range.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #32

I have had one failure in a Star Model B in 9MM that was made in 1944 or so. The firing pin broke at the tip. I had to have one fabricated. Seems dryfiring old steel firing pins can crystalize the metal. It sure did on this one.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I dry fire my defense guns, but not my .22. My reason has nothing to do with whether to dry fire a rimfire. I bought a .22 for cheap trigger time, to provide a bunch of repetitions that would largely translate to increased skill in shooting my defensive handguns. I dry fire to provide not only cheap (free!) repetitions, but to be able to practice on all the other days I can't get to the range. This, too, is to hone skills that will translate to shooting my defensive handguns. So if I'm dry firing, there's no need to use the "substitute" pistol; I use the "real" one.

But if the .22 is THE gun you're trying to develop skill with...

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #34

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Wait, why no dry firing with a rimfire? I have a very old rimfire .22 that has been dry fired thousands of times, been through hellish conditions, and still only has a misfire every 1/50 shots, and all we have to do to fix that is pull back the firing pin and squeeze the trigger.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 10-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Wait, why no dry firing with a rimfire? I have a very old rimfire .22 that has been dry fired thousands of times, been through hellish conditions, and still only has a misfire every 1/50 shots, and all we have to do to fix that is pull back the firing pin and squeeze the trigger.
If you dry fire a centerfire gun, the firing pin hits air — no harm done. With many rimfires, because it's off center, the firing pin hits the rim of the chamber. That can damage the firing pin, the chamber or both. There are some guns made with tolerances that take this into account, but unless you're sure, you probably don't want to try it.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs