To dry fire or not, that is the question........
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > To dry fire or not, that is the question........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7319 Times on 4403 Posts
Likes Given: 8982

Default To dry fire or not, that is the question........

My first gun was a GP100. On the day I bought that gun I also bought Snap Caps for it so I could practice with it at home. I never fire the GP100 without either snap caps in it or real ammo at the range.

Now I have a Mark II and I was told to absolutely never dry fire it. Do I need to buy Snap Caps for this gun? And I don't understand how Snap Caps work in a semi-auto. Do they eject out and you have to refill the mag every ten shots? With the revolver, they just keep going around and around. No need to refill.

Also, I do believe someone once posted how to make your own 'dry fire snap caps' with spent casings. Is there a way for me to do that with my .22?

Thanks for any input or information you can share with me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #2

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

DO NOT DRY FIRE LIST:
Any rimfires
Hammer-mounted firing pin revolvers

PERFECTLY OKAY TO DRY FIRE LIST:
All others

Disclaimer: some exceptions may apply, but this is a general good rule of thumb when considering dry firing.

Complete waste of money to buy snap caps for the GP100 in my opinion. Dry fire the hell outta that thing! There's a reason they call Ruger revolvers the Abrams tanks of the revolver world. And it ain't because they're too delicate to dry fire.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

WoC, cough up some $ and buy .22lr ammo.

Don't dry fire your semi-auto. Have fun at the range with it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I bought a pack for my Glock and no they dont eject like live ammo. You have to rack the slide after each trigger pull to eject the round.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #5

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpotion23 View Post
I bought a pack for my Glock and no they dont eject like live ammo. You have to rack the slide after each trigger pull to eject the round.
Dry-firing that Glock would save a lot of time having to reload those little snap caps. You're just wearing the mag springs out faster by using the snap caps.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #6

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

To be completely honest, I would contact the manufacturer in each individual case. For example, I have 0 problems dryfiring a glock because the pro competition shooters do it all the time. My bersa's I dont dry-fire because the warranty service dept. has suggested that it can lead to problems. Kel-Tec's are another no-no company for dryfire.

If your going to dryfire, use snap caps unless the manufacturer suggests that its ok not to. I consider all striker fired firearms to be ok to dryfire.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

its perfectly safe to dry fire the gp100 and the ruger mk2. the ruger mk2 and 3 and the original ruger semi auto 22lr are designed to be safely dry fired.

in fact your supposed to dry fire the mk series as part of the disassembly procedure.

not all 22lr are safe to dryfire but most modern 22lr are designed to be safe dry fired.

the only centerfire hand guns and rifles that are NOT safe are the ones that have the firing pin on the hammer. you can tell because they hhave exposed hammers and there will be a spike on the hammer that slams into the primer.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #8

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Just as a general rule: NEVER dry fire a rimfire, regardless of whether or not it's supposed to be designed safe for it.

Other than that, I would check with the manufacturer. Olympus said not to dry fire those with hammer mounted firing pins, but I called customer service for S&W and they told me that the only thing they make that cannot be dry fired is any of their rimfires, so I rip away with my .357 mag and no caps whenever I feel like it.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Just as a general rule: NEVER dry fire a rimfire, regardless of whether or not it's supposed to be designed safe for it.

Other than that, I would check with the manufacturer. Olympus said not to dry fire those with hammer mounted firing pins, but I called customer service for S&W and they told me that the only thing they make that cannot be dry fired is any of their rimfires, so I rip away with my .357 mag and no caps whenever I feel like it.
you cant dissassemble a ruger mark 2/3 without dry firing it...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Occasional dry-fires won't hurt it, otherwise everytime someone accidentally fires on an empty chamber they'd be causing damage. I think just as a rule one shouldn't attempt to actively practice via dry-fire on a rimfire gun.

I've dry-fired my Raging bull like 8 or 9k times without problems :P .

I'm on probably 500 with my 24/7, but I only got it like 3 weeks ago. I bet I hit 20k with my old PT92, though.