Dry fire more important than actual practice!?!? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Dry fire more important than actual practice!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You need both to be proficient.Live fire is good when taking longer shots and gauging accuracy,but up close,like indoors,dry fire practice is very important when speed as well as accuracy are needed.

Springfield Armory 1911 TRP,two of them,in Simply Rugged holsters for the summer and Andrews double shoulder holster for winter.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Dry fire practice is efficient. You can do it anytime, without leaving the house, and you aren't using up ammunition.

More than that, shooting, like many other endeavors, can be improved upon by practicing in parts before performing in total. Think of a quarterback throwing passes through a tire, a boxer working on the speed bag, a baseball player fielding grounders hit by a coach, or a tennis player practicing backhands using a serving machine. You can focus on a particular skill, one aspect of an overarching activity that involves a whole set of skills. And you can perform many repetitions in a short period of time. That's why practice sessions of sports seldom involve actually playing the game.

You still have to practice the overall activity to put all the parts together, but now you have the benefit of far more repetitions of individual components than you would if you only relied on range practice.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

I entered the Marine Corps in the 50s. Before we fired a single round we had a full week of "snapping in". Nothing but dry fire. Perhaps that is why the Corps has such excellent marksmanship.

Paul
Salome, AZ

Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So Yall r sayin that from now on when Iam up late at night pointing my pistols at the tv pretending to shoot the actors and my wife tells me to quit playing with my guns and put them up I can tell her I am not playin it's practice

Dave

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot

Old 01-05-2011, 01:59 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dry fire also allows you to practice your draw and many defense tactics that you just can't do with a loaded weapon, and never at a range. I practice my trigger pull often by dry firing, and use it to break in new revolvers.