Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Dry fire more important than actual practice!?!? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/dry-fire-more-important-than-actual-practice-36179/)

NewGunz 12-29-2010 11:29 PM

Dry fire more important than actual practice!?!?

In the book Tactical Pistol Marksmenship by Gabriel Suarez, Suarez has an entire section on dry firing where he mentions:

Quote:

Live fire is important but a minor part of the overall training of a tactical shooter. (Suarez, pg. 30)
AND

Quote:

I have found that the more you shoot, the worse shot you become! (Suarez, pg. 30)
To summarize, Suarez also mentions that dry firing will do a lot more for you than firing 10,000 rounds of real ammo. Lastly, he tells the story of a Rhodesian Defensive Force commander who had to resort to dry fire to train his troops due to extreme ammo shortage in the country at the time. Suarez goes on to say that this commander's troops trained solely by dry firing ended up firing better than soldiers who had fired thousands of real rounds conventionally.

I think you get the point he's trying to make. My question is, do you agree? Is this something that is commonly known in the shooting community? It has me feeling slightly guilty of wanting to go to the range now but I've always thought live practice was good due to the actual sights and sounds.

Ruzai 12-29-2010 11:58 PM

Dry firing takes the flinching out of the equation for beginner shooters and can refine trigger pull, grip, stance, and many other things that may need work and be overlooked while at the range.
I dont really agree with the thought that the more you shoot the worse you get at it, thats just asinine to me. If that were the case Jerry Miculek and Rob Leatham wouldnt be able to hit the broad side of a barn :p
I do agree with the dry firing, and its a safe way to improve and refine many skills, I spend about 3/4 of practice on dry fire and the other 1/4th on live fire due to ammo costs and opportunity to head to the range.

ScottA 12-30-2010 12:19 AM

I assume he means that practice only instills repetition. If you practice an improper skill, you only get repetitively worse.

JonM 12-30-2010 12:30 AM

no that conclusion is way off. dry fire is very important and very effective. but it is no replacement for live fire. thats why a lot of people look for 22lr conversions for their daily caary pieces or 22lr firearms that closely resemble what they use.

fixxer 12-30-2010 01:34 AM

I just finished the ebook version of this from Amazon a couple weeks ago too. I thought it was hokey and exaggerated in places but some of the scenarios did make sense. I'm glad I read the book and it did reinforce the importance of dry firing when not able to make it to the range and to practice the draw. I think there are parts and peices of almost every book that are good to take away from the reading. In the end, I'm not taking every statement that Suarez made at face value. Have you tried to find any sources that he quoted about this Rhodesian Defense Force?

willfully armed 12-30-2010 05:46 AM

Dry firing is the cheapest and easiest way to repetitiously learn your trigger.

Trigger work is easily 50% of the accuracy equation. Not to mention it will smooth a new trigger nicely.

WDB 12-31-2010 04:55 AM

In short dry fire improves pistol control by muscle memory. The same conditions have to be allied as if firing live rounds. So if setting on your couch and snapping off 100 rounds won't be the same. IMO live fire is the only true way to fully understand your ability and that of the pistol you use/carry.

BigByrd47119 12-31-2010 05:19 AM

Both serve their purpose. Can one make it threw gun ownership without dry fire practice? Sure. But most people will agree that dry fire practice is important, especially with a new-to-you gun and with new-to-gun owners.

Dry fire practice has become something of a major focus for me recently as I simply have not the time or resources to go to the range every week like I should. Rather than sit at home wasting time doing something less constructive, I have taken to heart dry fire practice.

The website, found here, Handgun Drills and Standards Page , is usually a very good read for those just getting into dry fire practice. At this moment the site seems to be under contruction...:o

(Use snap-caps!)

Ruzai 12-31-2010 07:11 AM

If I really had my say in the matter I'd do both live and dry 50/50 but unfortunately I no longer have a range in my backyard like most of the gun writers and people in the country tend to have.

I've broken 2 sets of snap caps so far...both for the 38 special/357 mag, I think its because they were made of cheap plastic. My 45 Auto snap caps are metal and have survived superbly. I just hate trying to find them after you eject them across the room during a malfunction-clearing drill :rolleyes:

BigByrd47119 12-31-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruzai (Post 412050)
If I really had my say in the matter I'd do both live and dry 50/50 but unfortunately I no longer have a range in my backyard like most of the gun writers and people in the country tend to have.

I've broken 2 sets of snap caps so far...both for the 38 special/357 mag, I think its because they were made of cheap plastic. My 45 Auto snap caps are metal and have survived superbly. I just hate trying to find them after you eject them across the room during a malfunction-clearing drill :rolleyes:

Had a friend buy plastic Snap-Caps one time. It didn't take long for them to get broken. Because of that I will only buy A-Zoom. Great little buggers.