Driving from PA through NJ and NY; question about laws

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Driving from PA through NJ and NY; question about laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Driving from PA through NJ and NY; question about laws

I'm driving from PA (where I do have a carry license) through New Jersey and New York states. As I understand it both NJ and NY do not recognize the PA carry license. I would prefer to drive with my gun. Does anyone know the laws with regard to how am allowed to bring the handgun? I drove through Illinois and they said it had to be unloaded, not accessible, and in a case. Would the same apply to NJ and NY? Or, would they not even permit that?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7439 Times on 4060 Posts
Likes Given: 15311

From the Legal Heat app.

Hollow point bullets are prohibited in New Jersey?

image-1690533874.jpg   image-134793771.jpg   image-780090654.jpg   image-4101083855.jpg  

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 05-15-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_psych
I'm driving from PA (where I do have a carry license) through New Jersey and New York states. As I understand it both NJ and NY do not recognize the PA carry license. I would prefer to drive with my gun. Does anyone know the laws with regard to how am allowed to bring the handgun? I drove through Illinois and they said it had to be unloaded, not accessible, and in a case. Would the same apply to NJ and NY? Or, would they not even permit that?

Thanks
Unloaded and cased in the trunk or other inaccessible location. Ammo must be in a separate case. Not sure whether mags larger than 15 can be transported through NJ or larger than 10 through NY. No reciprocity in NJ for any state's permit not sure of NY. No deviation permitted in NJ, if you so much as stop to pee you can be arrested, suggest you stay in PA as long as possible and cut through NJ only to get to NY.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
From legal heat.

Hollow point bullets are prohibited in New Jersey?
Hollow points are permitted but only at home and the range. Transporting them through the state is risky.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In order to carry a gun in NYS,you have to have NYS pistol permit.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini
In order to carry a gun in NYS,you have to have NYS pistol permit.
Sorry for the confusion. I'm not looking to carry it. I'm only interested in bringing it with me and keeping it in the car.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 688

in NYS you are allowed to keep it locked and in the trunk away from ammo.. but only for transport.. once you stop for gas, or to eat lunch in NYS you are now considered in possesion of said pistol and face jail time... i would advise you not waste time nore money in either of these two commie states.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
People Like This 
Old 05-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The whole thing is ridiculous. Thieves, rapists, and drug addicts don't abide by these laws. They are free to use these weapons against innocent people Ike me who are just trying to protect my family from their crap. Gun laws are a complete joke. Lets make it tougher for innocent people while thugs and other criminals get to freely use guns to hurt normal people. Makes a lot if sense to me.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2929 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1746

There are differences between "carrying" and "transporting", I recommend you understand the diff. between the two and the laws governing the two.

There is a book titled Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, by J. Scott Kappas, Esq., I recommend everybody order one and consult it before carrying or transporting a firearm in any state.

It is also very advisable to contact the state police in each state you will travel to or through, to find out if any laws have changed since publication of the book above.

More specifically, NJ & NY don't play nice with firearms owners. Good luck and be knowledgable!

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Whatever you do ... stay the hell away from NYC ... a trap of sorts.