Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Driving from PA through NJ and NY; question about laws (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/driving-pa-through-nj-ny-question-about-laws-90709/)

dr_psych 05-15-2013 12:02 AM

Driving from PA through NJ and NY; question about laws

I'm driving from PA (where I do have a carry license) through New Jersey and New York states. As I understand it both NJ and NY do not recognize the PA carry license. I would prefer to drive with my gun. Does anyone know the laws with regard to how am allowed to bring the handgun? I drove through Illinois and they said it had to be unloaded, not accessible, and in a case. Would the same apply to NJ and NY? Or, would they not even permit that?

Thanks

MisterMcCool 05-15-2013 12:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
From the Legal Heat app.

Hollow point bullets are prohibited in New Jersey?

Jpyle 05-15-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_psych
I'm driving from PA (where I do have a carry license) through New Jersey and New York states. As I understand it both NJ and NY do not recognize the PA carry license. I would prefer to drive with my gun. Does anyone know the laws with regard to how am allowed to bring the handgun? I drove through Illinois and they said it had to be unloaded, not accessible, and in a case. Would the same apply to NJ and NY? Or, would they not even permit that?

Thanks

Unloaded and cased in the trunk or other inaccessible location. Ammo must be in a separate case. Not sure whether mags larger than 15 can be transported through NJ or larger than 10 through NY. No reciprocity in NJ for any state's permit not sure of NY. No deviation permitted in NJ, if you so much as stop to pee you can be arrested, suggest you stay in PA as long as possible and cut through NJ only to get to NY.

Jpyle 05-15-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
From legal heat.

Hollow point bullets are prohibited in New Jersey?

Hollow points are permitted but only at home and the range. Transporting them through the state is risky.

gemini 05-15-2013 12:56 AM

In order to carry a gun in NYS,you have to have NYS pistol permit.

dr_psych 05-15-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemini
In order to carry a gun in NYS,you have to have NYS pistol permit.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not looking to carry it. I'm only interested in bringing it with me and keeping it in the car.

jjfuller1 05-15-2013 01:51 AM

in NYS you are allowed to keep it locked and in the trunk away from ammo.. but only for transport.. once you stop for gas, or to eat lunch in NYS you are now considered in possesion of said pistol and face jail time... i would advise you not waste time nore money in either of these two commie states.

dr_psych 05-15-2013 11:16 AM

The whole thing is ridiculous. Thieves, rapists, and drug addicts don't abide by these laws. They are free to use these weapons against innocent people Ike me who are just trying to protect my family from their crap. Gun laws are a complete joke. Lets make it tougher for innocent people while thugs and other criminals get to freely use guns to hurt normal people. Makes a lot if sense to me.

eatmydust 05-15-2013 11:42 AM

There are differences between "carrying" and "transporting", I recommend you understand the diff. between the two and the laws governing the two.

There is a book titled Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, by J. Scott Kappas, Esq., I recommend everybody order one and consult it before carrying or transporting a firearm in any state.

It is also very advisable to contact the state police in each state you will travel to or through, to find out if any laws have changed since publication of the book above.

More specifically, NJ & NY don't play nice with firearms owners. Good luck and be knowledgable!

PanBaccha 05-15-2013 01:04 PM

Whatever you do ... stay the hell away from NYC ... a trap of sorts.