Don't tell anyone I own this . . . - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Don't tell anyone I own this . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I gave me son a Titan Tiger snub nose .38sp and a box of 158gr cast lead. Better then a sharp stick.
My late Grandmother traded me that exact, knuckle-busting revolver for an airhorn when I was 15. It was my car gun in my first car; the bug didn't have a radio or a/c, but it had a .38 in the door pocket for years.

Granny was fading a bit by then, I bleve.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Hey TXPOSSUM. If that is a nasty RG Industries Model 40, be extremely careful about firing it. It may go "bang" in a way you don't expect. They have a history of self-destructing, i.e. blowing up when fired. There is a saying, that "It's a toss-up as to who gets hurt the worst, the guy being shot or the guy doing the shooting".

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 06-07-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:13 AM   #43

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Hey TXPOSSUM. If that is a nasty RG Industries Model 40, be extremely careful about firing it. It may go "bang" in a way you don't expect. They have a history of self-destructing, i.e. blowing up when fired. There is a saying, that "It's a toss-up as to who gets hurt the worst, the guy being shot or the guy doing the shooting".
It's not the most trust-inspiring firearm that I've ever seen.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #44

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
You go big game hunting with a .45?
Wondering about that & a couple other statements myself?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #45

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Wondering about that & a couple other statements myself?
The OP has been inactive for some time, and appears to be quit a BSer.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #46
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 953 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman55 View Post
6 shot RG .22LR... Goes bang all 6 times but getting the spent casings out afterwards is a tasking chore! Still a back back back up for SHTF situations...
I have one of these too! Dad bought it for Mom when she was working midnights at an answering service (remember those?) in town in the 70s. She was the only person in the building from 11 pm to 7 am.

Getting the spent casings out isn't the worst part, the worst part is that it won't hit a 24 by 30 target anywhere on the paper at 7 yards.

Fortunately Mom never needed it, I keep it as sort of a family heirloom and because I still have every gun I ever bought or inherited except the 3 that were stolen. 1 by an uncle, and the other 2 most likely by my brother.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #47

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

The only gun I have that I would part with in a heartbeat is my Akkar model 300 HD, it's a nice shotgun and it fires when I pull the trigger but honestly it's made in turkey and I don't really shoot it anymore. I usually keep it under my bed and only take it out when I need to clean it.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 06-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #48

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
This is just between you and me, right? Sorta like a gun forum version of "hot tub" rules. What is said on FireArmsTalk stays on FireArmsTalk.

We all like to brag about our guns. I sure do. And by damn, each us has the baddest, coolest, deadlist, and generally best-est guns on the face of the planet.

But . . . what about the one you rarely mention? The ugly duckling hidden from the public eye. The red-headed stepchild of your collection. The one you feel guilty about ignoring, but you just can't bring yourself to love. You feel sorry for it, mebbe, but that warm feeling is just not there.

Mine is an old RG .38 Special of the kind pictured below. My actual gun is wrapped in an old t-shirt and kept in my "just in case" bag in the trunk of my car. Oh, believe me, there's another gun with me . . . I just frankly didn't know what else to do with it. Sorta a back up for my back up, 'cause when you pull the trigger it does go "bang".

I'm not even sure where I got it, or why. I think that years and years ago one of my brother's friends needed bail money or something, and I bought it and another gun for $75.00. I believe I got the worst end of the deal.

So . . . just between us . . . what gun do you own that sorta embarrases you to be seen with?
I had two RG handguns in my past. One MOD 25 and a 24T..Yes, it was marked T as in target model. I honestly can't remember how I got them but I had them. I told people that I went out drinking and when I 'woke up the next morning I rolled over to see those two (not so) beauties. The revolver would give you a shaved lead spray due to it's horrendous timing and lack of good lock up. The 25 was a true RG in it couldn't hit the broad side of my own a$$ wit hit in my back pocket! THe both ended up in a trade at a cattle stock yard. Best - Day - EVER!

I currently own a little chromed FIE 38 spl derringer. I think I gave an old lady 40 bucks for it because I just didn't want her to try and use it. To this day it's never been shot by me. Got the box with it too and still know I overpaid.
I have recently seen a couple sell on the local trade boards for between 125-150.00. ...
.....consider my mind blown....

Now y'all know my dirty little gun secrets. <in his best Dr. Smith voice> THe shaaame..the pain of my shaaaame

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #49

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi-Point C9. Bought it as my first gun. Jammed (failed to feed) a dozen times the first day at the range. Owned it less than 2 months. Sold it at a bit of a loss. Overall not happy with the experience.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

The only gun that I might consider getting rid of right now is my Taurus PT140 Millennium. I don't know that I'm embarrassed by it, per se. It was an ok first handgun, especially for the price, and especially since I didn't know any better when I bought it.

First time at the range, the front sight came off. I hadn't even taken it out of the store I bought it in yet. So I took it to the guy 5 feet away and he put the sight back on for me. Then it came off again twenty minutes later. This time I couldn't find the sight. So I said eff it.

Still carried it when I got my CCW permit in NC. Was gonna throw it at the bad guy I guess.

Then after awhile the magazine started ejecting on every shot... Dunno what's goin on there. I will say, Taurus has a lifetime (of the gun) warranty, so I'll send it in after I replace the front sight. Taurus has had it on back order for awhile. What's that tell ya? Maybe that I'm not the only person who has lost their front sight for that particular gun...

Anyway, whatever. It doesn't get shot anymore. I have much better firearms to play with. I'm gonna sell it, when I get it bandaged up.

Incidentally, I picked it up the other day just to test out its feel, since it had been awhile. Oh good lawd, it felt terrible in my hand compared to my M&P9c. Just, awful...

Always have clean socks.

axxe55 Likes This