Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Don't tell anyone I own this . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #141
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20042 Times on 11397 Posts
Likes Given: 50561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I make my judgement of taurus from the poor quality and workmanship of their early revolvers.
in 1987 i bought a Taurus Model 66, 357 Mag. with a 6" barrel. my friend owned a gun store and just gotten it in on trade. i was looking it over and at first i thought it was an economy version of a S&W revolver. i had never heard of Taurus before then. the pistol was in excellent shape and i bought it for about $200 IIRC. the blueing wasn't quite as nice as a S&W pistol but was okay. but the thing was very accurate and ate just about everything i wanted to put through it. i have no real idea as to how many rounds i put through it, but it was quite alot! that was my first experiance with Taurus. i have owned many since and will probably own a few more. i am not a fan of their 1911's simply because from a traditional standpoint i like the internal extractor vs. the external. that'ssimply a preference and not anything else.
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 09-20-2013, 04:23 AM   #142
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7826 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 10072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I make my judgement of taurus from the poor quality and workmanship of their early revolvers.
Any manufacturer can improve their products over time. I believe that Taurus has done so. I do not own any of their guns but I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to shoot/own one should it arise. I certainly wouldn't condemn them based on just their early guns.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #143

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've got one of those pistols that feed through the grip, an autoloader. It a Ruger 22/45 and it takes .22 Long Rifle ammunition. I have to get my wife to buy ammunition for it, and even then at a store where we're not know.

Bob Wright

Old 09-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #144

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright
I've got one of those pistols that feed through the grip, an autoloader. It a Ruger 22/45 and it takes .22 Long Rifle ammunition. I have to get my wife to buy ammunition for it, and even then at a store where we're not know.

Bob Wright
Something tells me you're a wheel gun guy

Old 09-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #145
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7826 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 10072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post

Bob Wright
I would be happy to take that embarrassment off your hands. For a small fee I won't mention your name when people ask where I got it.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #146
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!

Liked 2836 Times on 1945 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

in 1987 i bought a Taurus Model 66, 357 Mag. with a 6" barrel. my friend owned a gun store and just gotten it in on trade. i was looking it over and at first i thought it was an economy version of a S&W revolver. i had never heard of Taurus before then. the pistol was in excellent shape and i bought it for about $200 IIRC. the blueing wasn't quite as nice as a S&W pistol but was okay. but the thing was very accurate and ate just about everything i wanted to put through it. i have no real idea as to how many rounds i put through it, but it was quite alot! that was my first experiance with Taurus. i have owned many since and will probably own a few more. i am not a fan of their 1911's simply because from a traditional standpoint i like the internal extractor vs. the external. that'ssimply a preference and not anything else.
Never had any of their revolvers, would love to give the Tracker 22 conv. a run through, or the new Protector Poly 38+P. I do have a Taurus 92 SS with a Match Barrel that was my Comp. 9mm gun from about 1992 until I stopped competing in 1999. lots of folks pitch a fit over some of their mishaps with Taurus' smaller Autos(mostly the "7" series and the 24/7's),..My Cousin has a 709 for himself and a 738 for his wife,..no issues....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 09-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #147

oops, wrong spot!

Last edited by Tinytacohead; 09-21-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #148

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't get the Taurus bash I see here on FT. Granted mine is fairly new (M327), but it's fit and finish are just fine, bluing nice and action smooth. Beats me....

Old 09-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #149
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20042 Times on 11397 Posts
Likes Given: 50561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseman View Post
I don't get the Taurus bash I see here on FT. Granted mine is fairly new (M327), but it's fit and finish are just fine, bluing nice and action smooth. Beats me....
Taurus has had some QC problems in the past. not for sure if they have been resolved or not. sometimes buying one it can be a 50/50 shot as to what is going to happen with it. if you get a good one, it will be a very good pistol and will serve you well. if you get a bad one, it may take a bit to get it sorted out and to working properly.

i happen to like Taurus pistols, but until i see an improvement in their QC department, i will pass for now. i would like them to get it sorted our as they have some terrific offerings and some clever designs.
People Like This 
Old 09-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #150

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
I use to own a Glock 17 in the early 1990s.
Lol.... thats funny to me.