Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Does removing the blueing from a gun ruin the performance of the firearm in any way? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/does-removing-blueing-gun-ruin-performance-firearm-any-way-95354/)

HeatSpitta510 08-13-2013 07:33 AM

Does removing the blueing from a gun ruin the performance of the firearm in any way?

Doing this obviously makes the gun look beautiful with a with a stainless barrel and guild rod I just don't want to take anything away from a great pistols performance

HeatSpitta510 08-13-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatSpitta510
Doing this obviously makes the gun look beautiful with a with a stainless barrel and guild rod I just don't want to take anything away from a great pistols performance

I'm talking about the barrel ..sorry lol

danf_fl 08-13-2013 09:49 AM

How is the bluing removed?

If it is true "bluing", it should not. If it is a form of Parkerizing, possibly.

DrumJunkie 08-13-2013 09:58 AM

Umm..just because you remove a finish does not make it all of a sudden stainless.
It just makes it shiny. If it's not stainless to begin with then removing any thing on it will just expose it for no real reason. Other than for you to look at something shiny anyway...

WebleyFosbery38 08-13-2013 10:47 AM

Yup, all things shiny arent silver, gold or stainless; you need to know the base metal and removing the blue must be done without compromising the metal with direct heat or removing any of the metal via grinding. Most forms of blueing are actually a very scientific application of a pseudo protective rust forming acid mixture. Trust me, it wont just rub off, its on there like white on rice and fused into the base metal itself.

Best way to get a shiny Pistol is to buy one, I would probably stay away from trying to remove it through any method other than wearing it off with normal use but with proper maintenance, it will stay on the weapon for many generations to come.

Olympus 08-13-2013 12:17 PM

If it is ACTUAL bluing on the barrel, there is NO way the barrel is stainless steel. You can't blue stainless steel.

FrontierTCB 08-13-2013 12:22 PM

Is there a specific pistol you are referring to? That would probably help us figure out what kind of finish you're dealing with.

AIKIJUTSU 08-13-2013 12:33 PM

If you just want it to be "shiny", get it nickel plated. Removing the bluing without protecting the metal will result in a rusty eyesore.

Sniper03 08-13-2013 12:50 PM

removing the bluing from a barrel makes it much more susceptible to RUST & CORROSION? And ruins the value of the weapon. Bad idea unless you are going to apply another coating or plating. As far as performance that depends on how you remove it and if you change any dimensions.

cbibb 08-13-2013 12:53 PM

You will take away the value and you will not gain any advantage it will rust and if you want shinny buy shinny if it is warn a little that is character marks some people like that I have owned a few like that and really liked the fire arm and didn't have to worry about scratching it