Does that certain gun "sing" to you?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Does that certain gun "sing" to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Does that certain gun "sing" to you?

Some gun owners understand exactly what I mean, while others look at me like I'm crazy. But one piece of advice I give people who ask what make, model, or type of handgun to buy, I say to handle as many as possible and buy the one that "sings" to you.

It's not dependent on make or model. I can look at a table full of the same make and model of gun, and there will be one that asks me to pick it up. I rarely go to a gun show with a the purpose of buying a specific type of gun -- I wonder through the aisles until a gun chooses me.

Anybody else here?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Some gun owners understand exactly what I mean, while others look at me like I'm crazy. But one piece of advice I give people who ask what make, model, or type of handgun to buy, I say to handle as many as possible and buy the one that "sings" to you.

It's not dependent on make or model. I can look at a table full of the same make and model of gun, and there will be one that asks me to pick it up. I rarely go to a gun show with a the purpose of buying a specific type of gun -- I wonder through the aisles until a gun chooses me.

Anybody else here?
not the exact words i would have used! but yes, i do agree with what you're saying. buy the one that fit you the best or in your words, "sings to you".

pretty good advice and suggestion Possum!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Ya I know what you mean I've never advised that but I will now. Now that I think about it most if the guns I own were not the one I went to get I ask to look at say for instance just recently to see the colt and m&p 15-22 but they just wearnt right but that mp522 was screaming at me and it still is in my closet right now when you get that gun that's right for you in your hands you know it!

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-24-2013, 03:04 AM   #4

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

My ruger 22/45 picked it up and it was like a lightning bolt went through my arm. Like it wasnt a gun, it was an extension of my arm

Last edited by kiabe1; 03-24-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #5

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

I don't get it. You can look at a table full of the same gun but only one might "sing" to you? That makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Maybe I read that wrong, or maybe I'm just not nearly as into guns as you. Either way my guns sing to me every time I go shooting.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:31 AM   #6

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I don't get it. You can look at a table full of the same gun but only one might "sing" to you? That makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Maybe I read that wrong, or maybe I'm just not nearly as into guns as you. Either way my guns sing to me every time I go shooting.
Nope, you are reading that right -- no gun, not even the same make and model, feels exactlly the same as another. Some sing to me, some don't. Now, I don't mean that I actually hear the gun singing . . .not quite, anyway . . . but it is the combination of factors unique to that gun, some dicernable, some on the subconcious level, that tell me "THIS is the gun". As I stated, I rarely look for a certain make and model, I just see if anything is calling me that day.

On the other hand, sometimes I just never bond with a gun. I was given a Kimber .45 by a client, and although the 1911 is my favorite handgun, I never did warm up to that gun, and wound up selling it. I currently have a Series 80 that I bought 'cause the price was right, but so far it sorta leaves me cold. I would sell or trade it, but I'm thinking about building it up into a Bullseye target gun, and think once I put my imprint on it I'll like it better.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5699 Times on 3222 Posts
Likes Given: 5110

I know that feeling well.

The first time I picked up my Colt Anaconda, .45 Colt, it was perfect. I didn't even put it back on the counter, I shoved it into my belt and reached for my wallet. And it gets better every time I hold it.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #8

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Um, no. That noise emitting from the muzzle is not exactly musical.

But most single actions, well, just press it into the palm of my Wright hand and my fingers just sort of fall into place around the grips and my thumb just lays upon the hammer spur. It takes great effort for me to keep my trigger finger from carressing the trigger.

But singing? No. Maybe if I were in the shower........

Bob Wright

Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 477 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 158

They don't sing but they do fit.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I know what u mean, possum. It is like a golf club, car, whisky, or a woman--it looks good, feels good, and you know you just gotta have it.