Do your homework
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Do your homework

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Default Do your homework

On a local gun swap forum I recently had to bend a rule to prevent folks from being "taken". A fella was advertising a Llama XI as a Colt 1911 "clone". In the thread title he didn't even specify it was a Llama - just a "1911 for sale or trade". The text of the ad was very misleading as well and it would be very easy for a noob to 1911s to think they were getting a real 1911 - and it wasn't even a bargain.

Since the rules of the forum (which are there for a reason) preclude "negative" posts in an ad. What I did was phrase my "warning" in the form of a question so I asked: "Is this gun 100% parts compatible with a Colt 1911 as you indicate in the ad?". The guy actually tried to dodge giving a correct answer and soon a mod picked up on what I was doing and "helped" me make sure that correct info was in the thread. Moral of the story is to do your homework and don't believe everything you read on a forum or hear at a gun store. Not everybody has integrity so be careful. In 30 seconds on Google you'd find out that while a Llama may look like a 1911 - it isn't very compatible...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #2

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

I would hate to see or even hear about something like that here.

Early last year on AR15.com a guy from Long Island tried selling a clone Aimpoint. The buyer didn't even realize it until he posted pics on the forum and members pointed it out to him. It got pretty ugly pretty quick and the seller was a total douche about it. I believe in the end it worked out for the buyer but a lot of folks got involved, to the point of contacting the sellers local gun shop and place of employment.

If something like that happened here we should show no mercy on the them

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #3

Thankfully, unscrupulous bastages would last about 10 seconds here with the folks we have watching out for each other. It is a good lesson to learn though and that's why I posted it...

Old 02-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Clone- weasel word for "cheap copy".

By the way, understand that the LLAMA is 100% parts compatible with the COLLT PISTOLLS only.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #5

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Clone- weasel word for "cheap copy".
There's the rub, the seller didn't advertise the red dot as a clone. Sold it as an Aimpoint, even got near full price for it. It went back and forth with the seller denying it was a fake. Finally came to light that he bought it with the intent to sell it as legit - messages scoured from other firearms boards. It was pretty shady and like I said it did get ugly. Near the end of it the sellers employer got an the board and offered an apology to everybody, real stand up thing to do.

But like I said, I would be really upset if it were to happen here

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There's one ongoing right now on another forum I venture into. The buyer has recouped some money but is still out enough to warrant a small claims court action.

In my mind, there is no justifiable reason to cheat someone. My thinking is that some buy an item and get burned, they feel that they should try to get there money back by duping someone else.

If you are buying online, ask questions and get pictures. Make sure what you are buying is legit.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54
My thinking is that some buy an item and get burned
This is exactly the case about the Llama. The guy was a noob and was told it was a 1911 (they look like one) and paid a 1911 price for it. In his mind, he was just doing what was done to him. It's caveat emptor folks...

Old 02-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2398 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Unfortunately there are a bunch of clones on Ebay with full markings. They are exact on the outside copies of the real products. I filed a complaint with Ebay and contacted a few of the real companies to let them know. I did not even get a response from the companies and the products are still being sold. 1st clue is a Hong Kong address. Some of the items are being bought as clones and are being resold as real.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I for one am glad you did what you did. This is a good example of 'google this' and you should get all the information you need. To me it doesn't. I'm new enough to the 1911's that just googling doesn't tell me anything. Just it's made in Spain. When you don't know what your looking for a google tells you nothing. Call me stupid if you want but when you don't know you don't know. The only thing that would keep me away from something like this is that it's not a name I'm familiar with. I past up a Taurus once for that very reason. I've always wondered if that was such a good idea. My point is even though you folks that know all about this stuff, the noobs and not so noobs still don't. They/we need all the help we can get and appreciate it. Even though you may see the same question over and over. New is new. Thanks for the help but google this does not get it. Google this with these keywords might, but maybe not. I'm rambling now. Do you get the point though?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 02-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #10

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

There is exactly 2 places that are not retail I would do any kind of business on. Here and GGVG my varmint hunting buddies.

Both places look out for each other and sure enough will call a rat a rat and a snake a snake....