You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Do you use your safety?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1301 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Do you use your safety?

I think safeties on most guns are about as helpful as tits on a boar hog. The ONLY time use a safety is if I'm carrying a 1911 "cocked and locked", but . . . I know, I know, this goes against established doctrine and training -- I carry in condition two. I'm just comfortable thumbing the hammer back. I don't advise it, but I'm too old to worry about changing now.

But back to safeties. I can't tell you the number of times I"ve had a customer NOT want to purchase a gun because it didn't have a frame safety. "It's not safe", they say, " it could go off by accident". How, pray tell, can, say, a S&W Bodyguard .380, with a trigger pull that only a stevedore could like and a travel distance equal to that between Houston and El Paso go off "by accident"? For "safety" concerns (meaning making the manufactuers safe from lawsuits) most small autos have long, heavy trigger pulls. (Give me a 1911, I'll sign the waiver).

IMO, all a safety can do is confuse you when you need the gun in a hurry.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15500 Times on 7701 Posts
Likes Given: 14601

Manual safeties are obsolete on modern weapons.

The only EFFECTIVE safety on any weapon is your booger picker.

I DON'T WATcH CNN FOR THE SAME REASON i DON'T EAT OUT OF THE TOILET
People Like This 
Old 05-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #3

Liked 1301 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Manual safeties are obsolete on modern weapons.

The only EFFECTIVE safety on any weapon is your booger picker.
Yep. Keep the finger off the trigger.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #4

Liked 158 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 158

On my fire arms that have safeties I use them, why... idk because they are there. On my long guns I also use my saftey also just because it's there. Do I rely on it to save somthing, no that's why I keep my finger off the trigger.

My opinion on safeties slowing someone down or endangering them because they don't take it off.... if your not smart enough to operate a lever you should not own a deadly weapon. If you are also over come with that much panic you probly ain't gonna hit what you need to anyway.

I prefer a handgun not to have a external safety.

FL is the only state where you can buy any gun you want, but you can't shoot them.

Last edited by deathkricket; 05-20-2016 at 01:54 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Your brain is the only safety that you really need. You can't make up for the lack of a brain with a mechanical device.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #6

Liked 1342 Times on 863 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Anyone can accidentally drop a loaded firearm. A firing pin locking safety can make a real difference in that case. Otherwise I agree with the responses above.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5855 Times on 2704 Posts
Likes Given: 2804

And to add to locutus's great comment! That would be to carry it in a safe holster protecting the trigger from snagging on items by accident no matter where one carries their weapon.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment
Balota Likes This 
Old 05-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4873 Times on 2702 Posts
Likes Given: 2377

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I think safeties on most guns are about as helpful as tits on a boar hog. The ONLY time use a safety is if I'm carrying a 1911 "cocked and locked", but . . . I know, I know, this goes against established doctrine and training -- I carry in condition two. I'm just comfortable thumbing the hammer back. I don't advise it, but I'm too old to worry about changing now.
Please allow me to chime in.

A safety is an additional piece of hardware that (hopefully) avoids "accidental" discharge. Some designs did not originally have them, but the end user wanted it added (the history of the 1911 is a good reference).

Condition 2 (for those who are not aware) is normally a condition that is not recommended for the 1911. This is a round in the chamber, slide in lock-up, and the hammer down on the firing pin. The only way to do that is to carefully pull the trigger to allow the hammer to move forward. Why is that carry not recommended? One slip of the hammer in the process of lowering can result in a discharge and a banged up thumb. And the chances that one's thumb slips increases with age and practice.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
People Like This 
Old 05-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #9

Liked 897 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 259

I agree about manual safeties. I'd only use one if I carried a 1911 (which I don't). My HKUSP 45 has a manual safety that I never use. It has a decocker & a 12-lb. D.A. trigger, so the safety is as useless as it would be on a D.A. revolver. I'm used to keeping my finger outside the trigger guard unless I'm shooting.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #10

Liked 4696 Times on 2692 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Manual safeties for guns in single action for cocked and locked carry make sense. DA/SA guns may have a Decocker to put it into DA mode for safety against accidental discharge. They could also have a manual safety to give an option for cocked and locked carry on SA mode.

Striker fired guns which have a trigger that performs the final cocking don't really need a manual safety

My 1911s and CZ75 may get carried with the hammer cocked and safety on. Sig p220 carried with a loaded chamber and hammer decocked. Glock and M&P loaded chamber and in a good holster with the trigger covered.