Do you open carry?? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Do you open carry??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1375 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Now here is where PA handgun laws get tricky, and why some of your friends get harassed. PA state law does NOT expressly forbid open carry, but it also does NOT allow open carry. This puts anyone without a CCW in a sticky situation.
This is where a 2A attorney and OC group can be beneficial.

MI OC group made a point of MI constitution that unless it is specifically prohibited, it's permitted. Yes, many want to create laws on the fly, but there's been a bunch of pushing back on these law creators. Courts have ruled in the OC favor.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #32

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I do occasionally. The only ones who say anything is kids, who point. I have had 2 different parents explain to their children that I am a police officer and it's okay. Um, WTF? LOL. No I'm not. I just look like a cop. 6'2" 240 with a shaved head and Oakleys. I think it's based on your appearance whether you have problems or not. It's not exactly fair, but I have friends who look like A-Holes and they have problems with OC...

Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #33
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2639 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 14567

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
This is where a 2A attorney and OC group can be beneficial.

MI OC group made a point of MI constitution that unless it is specifically prohibited, it's permitted. Yes, many want to create laws on the fly, but there's been a bunch of pushing back on these law creators. Courts have ruled in the OC favor.
Very true. Hopefully the OP will pass this sugestion on to some of the people that want to change the laws in his state. Maybe they can get it changed for the better VIA case law. As a NY resident, my input on a PA legal matter would not count. He!!, it barely counts in my home state. That is why the wife and I are planning on moving out of state within the next year.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
Open carry a lot.

To me there is no cons. It is just another way to carry a gun. Oh sure you get the odd soccer mom shooting you the stink eye or some that are checkin out my gun and my sexy butt. Yes I know the bad guys will shoot you first the cops will harass you and all that. Never once has it happened to me. YMMV. I believe it depends on where you are at. If you are in down town Seattle with all the hipsters and Emo's you will more than likely scare them so bad they pee themselves. In the real world no one cares.
There are more CONS to open carry in general than PROS, to deny this is silly!!!
There is a place for both. As a LEO with 30+ on the street and over 11 years in the military ( 8 years in SF) I would not consider carrying in the open in 'public'! You give up to much tactically which can mean the difference in living and dieing in an attack!
I open carry while hiking, hunting, horse back riding, and working around the farm but other than that I care about my life and the lives of others to much to 'make a political statement' at my/their expense!
That said I completely support the RIGHT to carry both open and concealed, but please use some common sense before you act!!!!
Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 11-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #35

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I open carried and concealed both last night. Went to dinner with family, wearing a suit, jacket covered up my sidearm. Jacket off, walah, open carry in a IWB. No biggy. It seems if your dressed nicely people don't get as..... Emotional. If your dressed like I would be out and about, cut off shirt blue jeans and boots, open carry here seems to bring more attention.

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
There are more CONS to open carry in general than PROS, to deny this is silly!!!
There is a place for both. As a LEO with 30+ on the street and over 11 years in the military ( 8 years in SF) I would not consider carrying in the open in 'public'! You give up to much tactically which can mean the difference in living and dieing in an attack!
yea, damn those LEO's that open carry. They are always the first to be shot when standing in line buying their lunch salads.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:03 AM   #37
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Here in CA it was legal to OC unloaded up until January 1, 2012 for handguns and I think September of 2012 for long guns when it became illegal to OC entirely. These new laws were a direct result of the actions of a few OC activists insisting on exercising their right to unloaded OC by flagrantly doing so into coffee shops, theaters, and other public places in large cities and metropolitan areas where it was sure to cause a commotion and a controversy. It worked, and now it is illegal. YMMV.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #38

Liked 2503 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Nope. Unless hunting, fishing or camping. When I've been deployed, sure, but those are usually very unfriendly places and all if us are carrying.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Here in CA it was legal to OC unloaded up until January 1, 2012 for handguns and I think September of 2012 for long guns when it became illegal to OC entirely. These new laws were a direct result of the actions of a few OC activists insisting on exercising their right to unloaded OC by flagrantly doing so into coffee shops, theaters, and other public places in large cities and metropolitan areas where it was sure to cause a commotion and a controversy. It worked, and now it is illegal. YMMV.
In MI, it's exactly the opposite, and for sure the one case that made it to the appeals court, the judges reaffirmed the right to OC.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #40

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The open carry laws are intended to protect gun owners. Handgun owners who were not allowed concealedd carry in many places carrried openly. The laws were very vague. A hiker or camper who forgot walked into a mini-mart and was arrested. The open carry laws cleared up these problems.
Now we seemed to have open carry activist. This in your face carrying your favorite magnum at Walmart is questionable. As Viking Dad pointed out the public will be pushing for more control not less. Those of us who worked for years on the concealed carry are concerned about this problem.
Vikingdad Likes This