Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Do you open carry??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I do, usually, because I can't afford to exercise my rights as I see fit, and no permit is needed in Louisiana to open carry. I do sometimes conceal, illegally, when I feel I should.

Around these parts though, the only time anyone has said anything was when I got into a discussion with a cop on the 1911 vs GLOCK argument.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I would open carry around the house/property, in the woods, or at the range, but not in public (even if I legally could). If I'm ever in a situation where I'm forced to shoot, I'd prefer the BG never know what hit him.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #23

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 10:45 PM.
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #24

Liked 2192 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
I think open carry is a generally BAD idea in most public places particularly in densely populated urban areas....for a few reasons. My humble $.02 as follows:

-Open carry tends to stir up a general feeling tension and some civilians interpret as an open threat. They dont know you, dont know your background or intent....and they cant get beyond their own fear of guns and might automatically act protective if guarding children, etc.

-You automatically lose the tactical concealment advantage the second you open carry. I dont know about you guys but I always live by the motto.....SPEAK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG STICK!

-You are vulnerable if you carry at 4 o clock or in the small of your back to a potential suspect coming up from behind....assessing your holster system while your back is turned....and quickly disarming and turning your own weapon on you if they really wanted to.

-You may cause people to inadvertently act different around you or treat you different if they are opposed to guns. Again you may be throwing a scared civilian into a situation where they are just feet from an armed person they know NOTHING about.....and take it as a threat. That may lead to a police phonecall, and we all know police handle open carry situations differently. You may be dealing with more panicked 911 calls than you EVER imagined!

Where I think open carry does make sense:

-At the range
-On or inside your own property
-Out in the woods or on an open farm.

Everytime they are around a cop, they are around someone who is armed that they nothing about. Read or watch the news, lot's of evil cops out there. As far as concealed carry being more tactical that's highly debatable. If you need that weapon quickly good luck digging through your clothes to get it. Surprise works two ways. There's pro's and con's to both carry methods.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Both, and it depends on where and when

Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #26

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by asseenontv View Post
i have to carry for work. I conceal carry (without a permit) outside of work. Do the cons outweigh the pros? Well, i'm 117 pounds, so more than likely the cons outweigh me by a hundred pounds or so!
lmao!!! :d

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #27

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillersfan
I have owned guns since I can remember and have my CCL. I have never openly carried my pistol but I have considered it. My question is "Do you open carry"? Does the cons out weigh the pros??
I am in VA which allows OC. I only OC in the woods or at the range. I haven't seen any OC anywhere else yet. I have my CCW and therefore i always am carrying concealed.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #28

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

I live in Va and OC is legal. I have OC'd only a few times. I have only ever seen one guy OCing. I have my CCP and choose to CC over OC.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #29
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1488 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 7311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillersfan View Post
I have owned guns since I can remember and have my CCL. I have never openly carried my pistol but I have considered it. My question is "Do you open carry"? Does the cons out weigh the pros??
Only while hunting, on my own property, or at the range. New York requires a pistol permit to even handle or purchase a handgun, and all of the instuctors at the local classes tell you to just go for a CCW when you apply for the permit. PA will issue a non resident CCW to NY residents if they have apistol permit, so I got one there to. Only made sense when I go down to Erie once or twice a month, and down to Warren every 3 months or so.

Now here is where PA handgun laws get tricky, and why some of your friends get harassed. PA state law does NOT expressly forbid open carry, but it also does NOT allow open carry. This puts anyone without a CCW in a sticky situation. Open carry at the range, or while hunting is perfectly OK. In a city or other urban area, not so much. The most likely charge would be disturbing the peace. A CCW allows you to carry on you or in your vehicle (a luxury we don't have in NY, ours are only on our person). That is why it is mostly up to the oficer how the matter will be handled. If a person is being a d!ck, they will in all likelyhood be charged. If they comply with the officer's request (wether it is to put it away in their car, or simply to show I.D.), they usually be more polite and you will not be charged.

My own feelings on it are as follows. Concealed means concealed. You would never turn your hand, with a royal flush in it, in such a way that the other players in a poker game can see it, except for when your "bluff" is being called. The other players knowing what you have is not to your advantage. Why would anyone want to tip off the BG in a potential life or death situation? Being the only one OCing in a given situation makes you the first target. I much prefer being the "wolf in sheep's clothing" to being the wolf in front of the sheep dog and shepherd. And I sure as h&!! don't want to be the one in the sights of the rancher's rifle. Same rules apply when you may need to defend yourself against a possible threat. To me, it is just common sense. Now if all of the other people there are OCing, that would be a different matter. Anyone who startes any sh!t in that case is almost gauranteed to win a Darwin award, and probably without my help.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

StainlessSteel215 Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #30

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I do all the time around here. But I live in a pretty small town and it's no tall that uncommon around here. I'd be less inclined in a more populated area mainly for the reason that people can and many times will call police. And legal or not when they are called out you are still the man with a gun. I've not had a problem with police in these situations since I left Ohio (cops up there don't like citizens with guns it seems). Here in Ky I have been approached by police and it's resolved very fast. But I'm not one of those Youtube guys looking for a fight. I have no problem being polite and giving ID if asked for it. I'll just say that I wore this holster and it allows my weapon to be seen and I didn't think that was a problem here. To that after they see I'm not some that they need be dealt with they go on. I can't even remember ever having to turn my weapon over to them while they hash ti out. It's the honey over vinegar thing with me. I'm a responsible gun owner and in being so I have no issue with police doing their job being called out. Sure it's a but of a hassle but I've never been in a situation where I couldn't spend 5 minutes letting them respond to a call. Most the time now being I've met most the police in my area local, county, and state they might still get a call but if they see it's me they just go on. Except for a LEO that is really trying hard to get me to sell a pistol he really wants. I tell him I can't because I want to stick it to the man
So my findings throughout my thread here is that if more people would carry the more it would become natural and less people would be freaked out. That being said, it may still leave room for the bad element to come from the cracks and holes that they live in and camouflage themselves within the realms of the good citizens to do more harm. Sort of like the wolf in sheep clothing. I guess it’s taking the good with the bad. Just my thoughts..

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E