Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Do you open carry??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillersfan

Oh.. I would not have thought that at all. Not in Texas. Is that in every part of Texas?
To my knowledge it is a statewide ban, but small towns can be more lenient. I'll open carry when I hunt due to threat of mountain lions, and frequently don't remove it when I head home ... Sometimes stopping at the corner store to pick up necessities.

Questioned by one LEO when picking up a bag of corn and just told him that I was going hunting. After that and a quick glance at my CHL there wasn't a problem. Told me to be careful of the lions and went on his way.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #12

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
Open carry a lot.

To me there is no cons. It is just another way to carry a gun. Oh sure you get the odd soccer mom shooting you the stink eye or some that are checkin out my gun and my sexy butt. Yes I know the bad guys will shoot you first the cops will harass you and all that. Never once has it happened to me. YMMV. I believe it depends on where you are at. If you are in down town Seattle with all the hipsters and Emo's you will more than likely scare them so bad they pee themselves. In the real world no one cares.
LOL.... hipsters and Emo's. Never heard it quiet like that but I agree with you. Some of my buddies OC in PA but they say if you wonder down into the city, good luck with that. I think most LEO's are ignorant to some of the laws pertaining to OC. My nephew is a cop in one of the outlined municipalities here in PA and he welcomes OC. He says more people should do it.

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #13

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i dont with all the shooting i think is isent fair to the general public it just freek them out and you never know what kind of over zelles police officer you might run into

Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #14

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdamiani View Post
To my knowledge it is a statewide ban, but small towns can be more lenient. I'll open carry when I hunt due to threat of mountain lions, and frequently don't remove it when I head home ... Sometimes stopping at the corner store to pick up necessities.

Questioned by one LEO when picking up a bag of corn and just told him that I was going hunting. After that and a quick glance at my CHL there wasn't a problem. Told me to be careful of the lions and went on his way.
At least he was cool about it. Most would have wanted a note from your parents ..

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 11-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillersfan View Post
At least he was cool about it. Most would have wanted a note from your parents ..
He was lucky he wasn't in the DFW area. Texas law is pretty clear and strickly enforced here. The law is clear that we are a concealed state and no open carry except fpr police or uniformed security such as armored car drivers. If spotted in the "big city" it would have been an issue. Glad to hear that there are still places in Texas where cooler heads prevail.

I have spent a lot of money on guns bullets and holsters... The rest I have just squandered...

Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It helps when you know the sheriff personally and every constable and deputy in a fifty mile radius.

Now, I wouldn't dream of oc in San Antonio or any large city for that matter ... They tend to be much more strict.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #17

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I think open carry is a generally BAD idea in most public places particularly in densely populated urban areas....for a few reasons. My humble $.02 as follows:

-Open carry tends to stir up a general feeling tension and some civilians interpret as an open threat. They dont know you, dont know your background or intent....and they cant get beyond their own fear of guns and might automatically act protective if guarding children, etc.

-You automatically lose the tactical concealment advantage the second you open carry. I dont know about you guys but I always live by the motto.....SPEAK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG STICK!

-You are vulnerable if you carry at 4 o clock or in the small of your back to a potential suspect coming up from behind....assessing your holster system while your back is turned....and quickly disarming and turning your own weapon on you if they really wanted to.

-You may cause people to inadvertently act different around you or treat you different if they are opposed to guns. Again you may be throwing a scared civilian into a situation where they are just feet from an armed person they know NOTHING about.....and take it as a threat. That may lead to a police phonecall, and we all know police handle open carry situations differently. You may be dealing with more panicked 911 calls than you EVER imagined!

Where I think open carry does make sense:

-At the range
-On or inside your own property
-Out in the woods or on an open farm.

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; 11-15-2012 at 07:17 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #18

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I do all the time around here. But I live in a pretty small town and it's no tall that uncommon around here. I'd be less inclined in a more populated area mainly for the reason that people can and many times will call police. And legal or not when they are called out you are still the man with a gun. I've not had a problem with police in these situations since I left Ohio (cops up there don't like citizens with guns it seems). Here in Ky I have been approached by police and it's resolved very fast. But I'm not one of those Youtube guys looking for a fight. I have no problem being polite and giving ID if asked for it. I'll just say that I wore this holster and it allows my weapon to be seen and I didn't think that was a problem here. To that after they see I'm not some that they need be dealt with they go on. I can't even remember ever having to turn my weapon over to them while they hash ti out. It's the honey over vinegar thing with me. I'm a responsible gun owner and in being so I have no issue with police doing their job being called out. Sure it's a but of a hassle but I've never been in a situation where I couldn't spend 5 minutes letting them respond to a call. Most the time now being I've met most the police in my area local, county, and state they might still get a call but if they see it's me they just go on. Except for a LEO that is really trying hard to get me to sell a pistol he really wants. I tell him I can't because I want to stick it to the man

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillersfan View Post
I have owned guns since I can remember and have my CCL. I have never openly carried my pistol but I have considered it. My question is "Do you open carry"? Does the cons out weigh the pros??
No, I don't. The only reason I would ever support open carry is so we would not risk arrest if a concealed weapon was accidentally exposed. I know this is not a popular stand, but with so much of my state's economy depending on the tourist dollar I just think open carry would be a bad idea. Maybe if open carry was more prevalent elsewhere I might change my mind, but not at this time.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #20

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

It depends on where I am. Among the general public, no. I don't care for open carry because they sheeple are stupid and easily scared. You are most likely going to have the police called on you and make everyone around you uncomfortable. And for what? Most importantly I carry concealed because I like the element of surprise. If someone is planning to do something bad, carrying open, you're going to be the first person they shoot. I don't want other people to know I have a gun on me.

Out in the woods, that's a different story.