You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Do you believe in limp-wristing?

View Poll Results: Is limp-wristing a common cause of semi-auto pistol malfunctions
Yes 38 84.44%
Undecided 1 2.22%
No 6 13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 01:45 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6026 Times on 4012 Posts
Likes Given: 3117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Interesting video. I notice that although the gun is free to rotate around the right hand pinch grip on the gun, the gun is not allowed to shift towards the shooter. However, that freedom to rotate does seem to simulate the lack of support that people usually imagine when they talk about limp wristing.

What "involuntary grip movement" do you believe is causing the malfunction?
A quick wrist jerk, as the trigger breaks. Because a steady firm grip cures it, it is often assumed that the slack wrist was causing the malfunction. In fact if you manage just to hold steady, the gun will cycle.

BTW the "death grip" on a Glock is also good, but for a different reason. It keeps the gun on target for faster accurate repeat shots.

Last edited by Mercator; 06-14-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Clarity

Old 06-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The three guys beside me who voted "No" in the poll, will you please id yourself?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #33
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4118 Times on 2103 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Several years ago, I was given a S&W 4043 to "work on". The 4043 is a double stack alloy frame pistol. The owner (petite female) has issues with stovepiping. I detail cleaned the gun (stripped it down to the frame) and lubed it. Took it out to my range and fired a magazine as fast as I could, no malfunctions. I fired a magazine one handed, no malfunctions. I fired a magazine with bent wrist (ala Charlies Angels) and only my index finger/thumb holding the gun, stovepipe.

Gave the gun back and told her to hold on to it. Never had a problem again. Light weight framed pistols are more prone to this phenomenon. Slightly framed shooters are more prone to this phenomenon.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The main proponent of limp wristing on YouTube is the MAC. In this demo most pistols, but especially the Glocks malfunction.

http://youtu.be/fsewsolPyBU

Notice the two-finger hold. The guy uses his trigger finger for support, one handed. The wrist jerk is inevitable, because with the trigger finger motion the whole platform moves. That imitates recoil anticipation.

See how far back his pistols recoil? A lot more than when I held mine between two fingers on the grip, allowing free rotation. It is because he initiates the recoil move himself. I see no other explanation, because I held my Glock juist to barely not drop it.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #35

Liked 364 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 460

I believe the malfunction is caused by a combination of limp wristing and recoil anticipation. a weak spring added into the mix of the above might have some bearing as well

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Old 06-22-2014, 12:53 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by St8LineGunsmith View Post
I believe the malfunction is caused by a combination of limp wristing and recoil anticipation. a weak spring added into the mix of the above might have some bearing as well
After doing it myself, I suspect shooter's bias also. His pistols flip up dramatically. I was shooting a .45 ACP lightweight compact between two fingers, with a lot less recoil motion.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:24 AM   #37

Liked 364 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 460

diffrent model firearms will have more or less recoil than others depending on the weight of the gun so some guns will be more succeptable to this phenomenon than others.

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #38

Liked 595 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default I just voted no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
The three guys beside me who voted "No" in the poll, will you please id yourself?
Why ?

Because YES< limp wristing is real but have a FTF except when purposely limp wristing is not valid (in my opinion). Every video I have seen, every report of it, has people purposely holding the handgun that would never be valid unless you were 80% incapacitated ...then all bets are off with any gun.

If you note, all the videos you see have the person pulling back before the BANG and then holding it so loose that the recoil has the gun going almost vertical.

So yes, I believe limp wristing to those degrees can cause FTF..but if a person has any normal (even light) grip on a handgun, FTF is not caused by grip.Why I said no is anticipating recoil, less than death grip, etc...should not be the cause of FTF. I think some manufacturers would like you to believe that - not the guns fault - must be the user.

Anyway, just my opinion.
Mercator Likes This 
Old 06-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #39

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

maybe with Glocks, dunno. I DO know that our standard reliability test for the 1911 was to fire it while holding it upside down, pulling the trigger with the pinkie finger. If it wouldn't fire a magful flawlessly, something was not right with that gun/mag/ammo combo

Mercator Likes This