Do you believe in limp-wristing? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Do you believe in limp-wristing?

View Poll Results: Is limp-wristing a common cause of semi-auto pistol malfunctions
Yes 38 84.44%
Undecided 1 2.22%
No 6 13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3285 Times on 2260 Posts
Likes Given: 1614

Interesting on WF. Chances are it still has the best DA pull ever in a revolver.

Of course nobody want a MF - I was referring to those who try to prove they can. They can! The point is, it is not passive (limp), it is an active jerk backward. LR is just an incorrect term for it.

Last edited by Mercator; 05-25-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Kawffee
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 05-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #22

Liked 85 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 18

With the SCCY, as I mentioned before, I believe it is because it is so light on the bottom that make it so easy to be limp wristed. The only other pistols I have shot are a revolver and my buddies M&P9. We were both able to shoot his M&P with no problems. He did have problems with the SCCY, I did not as I knew how it needed held to make it work. Some will blame the pistol design and that very well could be.

Most other pistols I believe have more of their mass below the slide so limp wristing is not as big of a factor.

Preventing it does come down to a proper grip on the pistol. Some pistols may require a tighter grip to prevent this though. That is why I believe the Glocks, Sigs, etc,... do not have as much of a problem. More mass and possibly a thinner grip to hold better.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknight40 View Post
With the SCCY, as I mentioned before, I believe it is because it is so light on the bottom that make it so easy to be limp wristed. The only other pistols I have shot are a revolver and my buddies M&P9. We were both able to shoot his M&P with no problems. He did have problems with the SCCY, I did not as I knew how it needed held to make it work. Some will blame the pistol design and that very well could be.

Most other pistols I believe have more of their mass below the slide so limp wristing is not as big of a factor.

Preventing it does come down to a proper grip on the pistol. Some pistols may require a tighter grip to prevent this though. That is why I believe the Glocks, Sigs, etc,... do not have as much of a problem. More mass and possibly a thinner grip to hold better.
A more lightweight slide cycles easier, not the other way around. A massive, tightly fitted slide may need every bit of generated recoil to cycle. Glocks are always exhibit A when the "death grip" is advocated or LR is discussed, but for a different reason - their springs are very stiff.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #24
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2616 Times on 1589 Posts
Likes Given: 2688

Mercator, Perhaps you could go to a range and repeat the demonstration you got in your training session. Take a video of it. Post it.

What most of us seem to think is that a shooter who does not provide adequate resistance to the backward movement of the lower part of the pistol can absorb much of the recoil (momentum). By doing so, they rob the slide of that momentum and there is not sufficient force remaining to ensure complete compression of the recoil spring. This limits the movement of the slide, preventing it from completing the ejection/rechambering part of the cycle.

Is it possible that the demonstration technique failed to absorb the momentum and thereby allowed the gun to cycle?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #25

Liked 85 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
A more lightweight slide cycles easier, not the other way around. A massive, tightly fitted slide may need every bit of generated recoil to cycle. Glocks are always exhibit A when the "death grip" is advocated or LR is discussed, but for a different reason - their springs are very stiff.
The SCCY has Avery light weight frame. The slide weighs more than the polymer frame itself. Possibly even with the added weight of the aluminum receiver that is inside the polymer frame.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Mercator, Perhaps you could go to a range and repeat the demonstration you got in your training session. Take a video of it. Post it.

What most of us seem to think is that a shooter who does not provide adequate resistance to the backward movement of the lower part of the pistol can absorb much of the recoil (momentum). By doing so, they rob the slide of that momentum and there is not sufficient force remaining to ensure complete compression of the recoil spring. This limits the movement of the slide, preventing it from completing the ejection/rechambering part of the cycle.

Is it possible that the demonstration technique failed to absorb the momentum and thereby allowed the gun to cycle?
Yes, it is. I'll try to make a video next time out.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #27
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7514 Times on 3834 Posts
Likes Given: 8413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Interesting on WF. Chances are it still has the best DA pull ever in a revolver. .
No doubt, she's a real looker and you gotta love a 8 shooter revolver. "So you think your safe cause I shot 6 times? Surprise, theres 2 more in there with your name on them." Solid body pistols with exchangeable mags ended Fosbery's dream quickly, he was just a bit too late.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:41 AM   #28

Liked 2585 Times on 1380 Posts
Likes Given: 3775

RG RSO,s at our LGS 12 hrs a week, she see's this all the time. Most times it's a newbie with just a few rnds left in the mag...They have a death grip on the gun the first few rnds, then relax a little as the gun is getting lighter (less ammo)...

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Last edited by rn-cindy; 06-13-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A limp wristing demo, shooting a compact .45 Glock. Note the two finger grip hold. I am pulling the trigger with the opposite index finger. The pistol is given as much limp as possible, short of dropping it. (In fact it did drop on the first shot before the video, but still cycled.)

http://s90.photobucket.com/user/yjz888/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Video_zpsbeac4637.mp4.html

I am sure someone will refute or question the demo. I can only assure you that I can limp wrist all day long without a single malfunction.

For those who haven't seen the OP, limp wristing is a false explanation of a failure to cycle common among novice shooters. The true reason is anticipation of recoil, with an involuntary grip movement while the pistol is fired.

Last edited by Mercator; 06-14-2014 at 12:32 AM.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:41 AM   #30
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2616 Times on 1589 Posts
Likes Given: 2688

Interesting video. I notice that although the gun is free to rotate around the right hand pinch grip on the gun, the gun is not allowed to shift towards the shooter. However, that freedom to rotate does seem to simulate the lack of support that people usually imagine when they talk about limp wristing.

What "involuntary grip movement" do you believe is causing the malfunction?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/