Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Do i need a gun???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do i need a gun???

Hi all, I need your advice on advising me if my situation warrants a firearm and if so, Ill need some recommendations.

Here it goes...
I am a freshman college student who works weekend night shift (10pm to 6am) at a gas station convenience store.
The job is convenient as it lets me earn some extra cash without taking time out from my school work.

I have not carried any weapon for the 2 months I have been working there and have not been held up (thank god!). But have had a number of close calls the last couple weeks including a man walking in with a bandanna over his face claiming it was too cold outside

I am not scared at all of working here, but do sometimes feel that since i am of Arab decent that a robber may feel that harming me may have less consequences than others.

Just to recap
-What are the pros and cons of the gun (perspective from gun owners)
-What are some recommendations...snub nose revolver, semi, ak-47 ???
-if the gun is kept under a store counter do i need a concealed carry permit?

Thanks for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Are you at least 21 years of age. Not typical for a college freshman. If not, forget a handgun.

Benefits of a gun? It can save your life... nuf said.
Recommendation? In a relatively stationary environment... shotgun.
Concealed carry permit? Not likely, but always check with local laws.

Now these are very high level recommendations. There's a whole lot more info needed for anything specific.

What is your experience with firearms?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't think it would be a bad idea to have a firearm available, but using it would probably get you some headaches with your boss and maybe the police. I would absolutely not suggest using the firearm to stop a robber from taking the $39.50 from the register, but i would want one available incase things seemed to be moving more towards murder than a simple robbery.

You might also have issues with storing the firearm if you live on campus; many campuses don't allow you to keep a firearm on campus.

Honestly, me personally, i'd get a bullet resistant vest first and then consider a revolver, probably a .38 or larger.

edit* It occurs to me that the first Glock i ever shot was a model 19 that a buddy picked up in college for protection on his bank deposit runs for the restaurant he managed.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-13-2010 at 04:20 AM.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

First, welcome to the forums- please stop by the intro section, and say hello.

Couple of points- you say you are a freshman- but did not tell us your age. MOST freshman are about 18-19 years old- and that is not old enough to legally buy a handgun through a dealer- Federal law.

Second- what experience have you had in using a firearm? They are not automated, and the safe and competent use of ANY firearm is a learned skill. If you have not yet acquired those skills, you may be better off with a more user friendly defense, such as a GOOD pepper spray- and the knowledge of when to use it, and when not to.

The legalities of having a firearm concealed from view, but accessible for immediate use outside of your home GENERALLY fall under the concealed weapons laws of the various states- but I am not a lawyer, few if any of us passed the bar (ever)- but you can probably get some good information from your State rifle Assocation.

Frankly, working the night shift at the local Stop-N-Rob requires security measures that go beyond having a firearm.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #5

I had not considered the age factor, im 18 years old.
I have never owned a firearm but intended to take safety course and practice at range.
Just simple self defense if things get out of hand

Old 10-13-2010, 04:25 AM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No Such Thing as Simple Self Defense when a firearm is involved. It is always threatening, dangerous and at times involve personal injury or death.

Not so simple, and if things get out of hand, you'd better be prepared to use every ounce of training you have received from hand to hand combat to defensive shooting.

I'd find another job!! It's not worth the $10 an hour, IMHO!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
I had not considered the age factor, im 18 years old.
I have never owned a firearm but intended to take safety course and practice at range.
Just simple self defense if things get out of hand
Head to the range and get in a class. That's the smartest use of your time and money right now.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-13-2010, 04:35 AM   #8

Thanks guys for the sound advice.
Apart from not being 21 (should have checked that first),
In my case it may be more trouble than its worth to carry a gun.
I will focus on the hold up training i was given and always try to remain vigilant.

Thanks again guys,
Take care.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:39 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Best of luck to you!

Remember, if they don't think the drawer is enough money, you might point out that some of those ice tubs have wheels to allow them to take some nice cold beer to go with their pizza money.

edit* A question to help you determine the danger level of your particular convenience store: Does the store display single ChoreBoy cotton scrubbers and glass tubes with tiny flowers in them? If yes, that is a bad, bad sign that some unusually desperate people with impaired logical abilities will be shopping with you and scoping out the store as a potential source of money for crack. Hide the ChoreBoy and flower tubes when you are working.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-13-2010 at 04:42 AM.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 AM   #10

LOL at the test.

The store is around the corner from my house in an upscale neighborhood which is a suburb of Columbus(i am a commuter student who lives at home), but our customers interestingly are of all different socio-economic levels.

Some days we only sell ice cream & Gatorade to soccer moms and their kids... while the next were only selling 40 oz king cobra and Milwaukee's .

But considering the freeway back to Downtown Columbus is only a few minutes away, it always pays to be careful

Last edited by 777; 10-13-2010 at 05:09 AM.