Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Do i need to break in my new Sig 229?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do i need to break in my new Sig 229?

Curious of how to properly break in a brand new gun. I just got a new Sig P229 e2 and was wanting to know if I even needed to break it in.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #2

Well, im not a expert but first i would break it down and wipe it down with a clean cloth. I say that because your new best friend has been sittin in a case for awhile waiting on you to buy. From the manufacturer to the gun shop, it probably got sum dust on it. Then, you will need to fire at least 500 rounds through it without any hiccups before u can say its reliable(considering its a sig i doubt u could deny its reliability) People say certain guns(like glocks) dont need a break-in period but i dont believe it and i love glocks.Anyways, after that you should be good to go

Old 10-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #3

so 500 rounds without breaking it apart and cleaning it?

Old 10-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherfinator View Post
so 500 rounds without breaking it apart and cleaning it?
No.

I clean my guns every time I fire any rounds and it's a good habit to start. The 500 rounds is a benchmark many use to "prove" reliability. Generally speaking, a Sig is not as likely to need a break in period as other brands are. For ANY new gun:

Clean it thoroughly before ever trying to shoot it. Some guns come packed with heavy grease and other protective junk - as the manufacturers know they may sit for years before sold. Once it's really clean, lube it good and go shoot it. Lube is your choice but I've used Mobil 1 car oil on all my handguns for many years without any problems.

I generally run at least 100 rounds of FMJ target ammo through any of mine before I try any HP defensive ammo. If it cycles 100% on range ammo, I move to whatever SD ammo I intend to use and test that as well. Again, I've never owned a Sig that was picky at all but I am kind of anal about procedures as my guns are always clean and well lubed...

Old 10-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #5

I'd say NGIB hit the nail on the head as far as tearing it apart and cleaning it before you fire a single round. The crap that is on a new gun is there for corrosion protection on a gun that may sit around for months or more and travel across the country before it reaches it's end user. It's not there for lubrication purposes.

Steel or alloy frames and slides and barrels get hosed out with carb cleaner. Take the grip panels off first please... Polymer frames go in the dishwasher with no soap (I fully expect Cane to blast me on that one but that's one of the beautiful things about Glocks ). Compressed air on all parts immediately until dry, lube conservatively with whatever snake oil you choose (synthetic 40 weight motor oil).

I wouldn't trust a gun for protection without putting a few hundred rounds through it for reliability testing with a certain bullet style. Some feed better than others but a few hundred rounds to "work the kinks out" shouldn't be required.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 10-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #6

Ive never had to put any extra lube on my brand new guns. If your not seeing anything on a clean white cloth, whats the point?

Old 10-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDJ77 View Post
Ive never had to put any extra lube on my brand new guns. If your not seeing anything on a clean white cloth, whats the point?

It's not "extra". As stated in two prior posts, you're cleaning off the PACKING GREASE that's on it already and applying LUBRICANT.

The heavy junk that's already on them is for corrosion protection, not to lubricate moving parts. Again, re-read above.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 10-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #8

I personally don't think any firearm requires a "break in" per-say, however most gun owners like to make sure that the firearm they are going to trust their lives too will at least function like it is supposed to with the ammo they plan on keeping their firearm loaded with.

As has been said, make sure to clean the packing grease, oil, or whatever they send it from the factory with before you shoot your firearm for the first time.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #9

Ok packing grease, but theres no rule that states u must lube a brand new gun. If u want to, fine be my guest but its not a law. i think its more important to put sum rounds through it then anything else. Of course i own a glock so what do i know

Old 10-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #10

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I broke in these 2 with nothing but this.