Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   DIY white-dot sight restoration (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/diy-white-dot-sight-restoration-79816/)

StainlessSteel215 12-30-2012 04:22 PM

DIY white-dot sight restoration

My ONLY gripe so far with my new American Classic Commander 1911 is that the white paint in my 3-dot sights is slightly discolored, and not completely filled all the way. Makes for a weak sight picture.

So, I did some digging around YouTube of course, and stumbled across a very simple and seemingly effective way to do this....compliments of my buddy Pete from TheARMORYChannel, with whom Ive spoken with since were both local guys. For those who dont know who he is...Pete is a VERY simple, down to earth and hilarious Joe Shmoe with a dry sense of humor. And he knows a lot about DIY builds and small fixes of all sorts. Very handy fella

Basically he recommends taking a dental plaque scraper type tool (steel rod with a slightly curved sharp point) and simply picking out the white paint. Then, once the empty dish has all the paint removed as best you can....taking rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab and twisting/cleaning out all the leftover remains. Finally....once its dry....take some basic hobby bright white acrylic paint and gently dabbing it evenly to fill the cavity with the end of a toothpick.

Seems legit. Any better suggestions or improvements to this technique?

Axxe55 12-30-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 (Post 1072067)
My ONLY gripe so far with my new American Classic Commander 1911 is that the white paint in my 3-dot sights is slightly discolored, and not completely filled all the way. Makes for a weak sight picture.

So, I did some digging around YouTube of course, and stumbled across a very simple and seemingly effective way to do this....compliments of my buddy Pete from TheARMORYChannel, with whom Ive spoken with since were both local guys. For those who dont know who he is...Pete is a VERY simple, down to earth and hilarious Joe Shmoe with a dry sense of humor. And he knows a lot about DIY builds and small fixes of all sorts. Very handy fella

Basically he recommends taking a dental plaque scraper type tool (steel rod with a slightly curved sharp point) and simply picking out the white paint. Then, once the empty dish has all the paint removed as best you can....taking rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab and twisting/cleaning out all the leftover remains. Finally....once its dry....take some basic hobby bright white acrylic paint and gently dabbing it evenly to fill the cavity with the end of a toothpick.

Seems legit. Any better suggestions or improvements to this technique?

pretty spot on there SS215! the only difference i might add is that they now have some new paints that will glow in the dark, but the process you described would still be the same.

StainlessSteel215 12-30-2012 04:38 PM

Hmmm like a homemade tritium for night sights? That sort of pigment has to be charged with a light though and only lasts a few minutes, correct? Seems kinda pointless to do that. I prefer plain bright white. Down the road I might spend the $150 on night sights...but for now this will cost me under $10 :)

I'll post a before/after once the stuff ships to me later this week. Ordered the dental pick/paint from amazon

Axxe55 12-30-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 (Post 1072089)
Hmmm like a homemade tritium for night sights? That sort of pigment has to be charged with a light though and only lasts a few minutes, correct? Seems kinda pointless to do that. I prefer plain bright white. Down the road I might spend the $150 on night sights...but for now this will cost me under $10 :)

the reports i have read is that the paint will glow for quite a while and some are better than others at retaining their glow.

Olympus 12-30-2012 06:15 PM

White crayon crushed up and pushed into the dots.

BeyondTheBox 12-30-2012 06:28 PM

Is just like with watches, those luminous paints only last a couple hours at best and do need sunlight to activate/charge them. The more sun the brighter, Unfortunately not the longer... You can buy it by the bottle but it's very expensive unless you buy in bulk. You can also buy tritium tubes from watch part sources, from my understanding, and possibly superglu them into a sight from there? Not sure on logistics, might try it myself just out of curiosity.

Axxe55 12-30-2012 06:31 PM

some craft and hobby stores use to carry the glow in the dark paints. last time i saw some was on another gun forum and someone posted a link for it. it was made to use primarily on firearms. it was about $12 for half an ounce. now that may sound like a lot of money, but half an ounce would do a boatload of guns!

JonM 12-30-2012 09:39 PM

fingernail polish is highly visible in certain colors as well. dont forget to use a bit of clear lacquer to protect the paint.

StainlessSteel215 12-30-2012 11:34 PM

Great replies fellas, and thanks Jon that was a great suggestion that I would have never thought of!

HOSSFLY 01-01-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1072431)
fingernail polish is highly visible in certain colors as well. dont forget to use a bit of clear lacquer to protect the paint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 (Post 1072570)
Great replies fellas, and thanks Jon that was a great suggestion that I would have never thought of!

Only thing I use -