Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Disappointing day w/ Kimber & Sig! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/disappointing-day-w-kimber-sig-31827/)

ddog 09-16-2010 10:53 PM

Disappointing day w/ Kimber & Sig!

Had a new extractor installed on Kimber Pro Carry II. Original was loose. Went to range; still had 4 casings to the head out of 50 rounds. 230 grain, FMJ, Blazer, Aguila and Federal. Chip McCormick mags. Not fun. Then tried out new Sig 226 in 9mm. Ran 50 rounds of PMC 115 grain FMJ. 3 different mags and the slide never locked back after last round. Range gave me a couple of reloads to try. Only once did the slide lock back. :confused:

NGIB 09-16-2010 11:15 PM

Sounds like the extractor in the 1911 needs tuning and the Sig need new mag springs.

If the Sig is truly new, it's a warranty issue...

danf_fl 09-17-2010 01:17 AM

You may as well install a new recoil spring, too.

ddog 09-17-2010 02:54 AM

yeah, i tried that . . .

there's a new kimber extractor in there too. when i first got it, it wouldn't go into battery sometimes. new extractor solved that problem, but i still get the flying casings even with the new ejector. i'll put in a new recoil spring and see what happens. as for the sig; i'll see if things improve after some more shooting. i'll try diff ammo too. my experience with other sigs is that they come from the factory really "tight" and packed with grease. my others needed a little breaking in (after a thorough cleaning).

canebrake 09-17-2010 03:07 AM

You can tune a 1911 extractor to drop your brass in a bucket.

If you are getting head shots, tweak it!

M14sRock 09-17-2010 04:36 AM

1911 extractors need to be "tweeked" more often than not. They are intended to be fitted and tuned. It is the rare extractor that just drops in and works 100%.

P226 sounds like weak mag springs, or a damaged/dirty slide stop. Were they factory mags? It was new? Or new to you?

ddog 09-17-2010 05:14 AM

try some more

before my next session, i'll put the original extractor back in. and try a new (wolff) recoil spring. couldn't hurt to try. other than another casing to the head i suppose. i sure won't be giving up on her. as for the sig; everything's brand new. pistol and mags. i'm in calif so i got 10 rounders. each one, new in its sig package. sure wish i could have had the three 15 rounders that came with the gun. oh well. all 3 weak? possible i guess. gotta get more range time in, that's for sure.

danf_fl 09-17-2010 06:47 AM

On the Sig, watch the thumb when firing. If it is around the slide stop, you may have to change your grip.

On the Kimber, if the original extractor would not let slide go to battery, then don't put it back in. As Cane says, the extractor can be tuned to drop all rounds in a bucket as you fire. Also check that the ejector is not broken. (yes, ejector).

cpttango30 09-17-2010 11:23 AM

If Cane and NGIB are saying the same thing I have learned that more than 99% of the time they are right on.

I wouldn't put a Chip McCormick mag in my gun. I use only Wilson Combat 8rd with the polymer follower.

NGIB 09-17-2010 11:34 AM

The most probable cause of a slide not returning to battery (and goofy ejection) is a weak recoil spring. While 16# is the "standard" for a 5" 1911, many require a tad heavier spring to operate reliably.

Also, I use Chip McCormick mags as my primary range mags and have had good success with them. For carry, I always use Wilsons or Tripps...