Diagnosis of Handgun Inaccuracy

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Diagnosis of Handgun Inaccuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2376 Times on 1440 Posts
Likes Given: 2504

Default Diagnosis of Handgun Inaccuracy

I am a new shooter. Getting better slowly. So far the safest place on the range has been my X-ring! Found a reference on line for a correction chart for pistols. See attached.

I find that I shoot mostly high and left, frequently the groups are 5-10 inches off center at about 7 yards range. The chart suggests that I am "pushing" as a response to recoil or no follow through. Can someone help me understand what that means?

Thanks in advance.

correctiontarget.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #2

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You may be anticipating the recoil, meaning at the last second you are slightly jerking as you squeeze the trigger. Alot of people anticipate the recoil a little bit whether they know it or not. Its just enough to throw you off, just squeeze the trigger with constant "light" pressure until the gun goes off

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 12-14-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Try to be surprised by the gun firing. As MrWray stated, your squeeze should be extremely slow. While in front of the TV, unloaded of course, practice sight picture and a nice slow squeeze. If you know exactly when the trigger is going to break, you're not doing something right. When you're surprised, you're body is unable to predict and act for/against the recoil. That may help you're pushing issue.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #4

Jerking the trigger will also "push" the gun a little bit when fired even if you arent anticipating the recoil. Thats why a smooth trigger pull is key. I can already tell you that you are anticipating the recoil from what you are telling us so work on that part,its like reckless said, smoothly "squeeze" the trigger and let the gun going off be a surprise. As you get more comfortable with your firearm the anticipation will get better.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Flinching or anticipation is a common problem for new shooters. Couple of things to try: have a friend load your mags at the range and slip in a snap cap. When the gun fails to fire you should still be on target; mount a cheap laser or laser bore sight and practice dry firing at the chart, the dot should stay centered; make sure your grip is not squeezing the gun and that your trigger finger is properly placed with the pad of the finger on the trigger. Too much finger does not allow you to squeeze the trigger straight back. Final thing...practice, practice, practice. Good luck and have fun.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

How fast do you release the trigger when the shot is fired.

Follow through is not done by most people on the range, yet it is one of the four steps needed to have a good shot.

Basically, it is to continue pulling the trigger through the shot and only release it after the handgun has settled down from the recoil.

To see how it affects you shot, try a dry fire test of pulling the trigger then releasing it the same way you do on the range. If the barrel moves when the trigger is released, then you are not following through.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #7

Thanks to all! I have been dry firing at the range between live round magazines. The barrel does not appear to move (most of the time) during the dry fires. But the live fires are hard to tell. I'll look into getting some snap caps and loading them randomly to check.

I haven't thought about the follow through aspect much. I will definitely be looking for that during future practice sessions.

I don't believe practice makes perfect. I believe practice makes permanent. Practicing with bad habits only reinforces those bad habits. So I want my practice shots to be as perfect as I can. Thanks again for your help!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:06 AM   #8

Quick followup. Went to the range twice since last post.

First visit was very frustrating. Every time I focused on one detail (like follow through) other parts went in the toilet.

Since then I got an exercise device that allows individual finger squeezes. Been using that to gain hand strength (to keep weapon as straight as possible during discharge) and to practice straight, finger tip only, squeeze.

Second trip was like night and day. Focused on smooth squeeze and follow through. Almost all shots in 9 or 10 rings. Nothing to brag about among experienced shooters, but a LOT better than previous. Thanks to all for your help!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 12-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #9

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If it works, keep it up. Glad to hear you've gotten some improvements.

Just keep practicing and doing what your doing.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #10

Glad to hear it brother, we all started out just like you are. Happy that we could be some help.you are only gonna get better, dont let the bad habits stress you out and just have fun.. You will get it down