Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Derringers, what one to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

you want impressive try the hornady 45 grain 22mag hp hot and heavy hitting might be hard to find i went to my local gun shop and asked for it the clerk looked at me like i had 2 heads. drove a few extra miles and found the stuff on the rack bought all 10 boxes

Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
The aquila LR shells likely are equal to most 22 wmr rounds, since the 22 wmr is loaded with rifle powder. The CCI short barrel 22 wmr wasn't impressive in my heritage with a 6.5" barrel.
Was it an accuracy issue ? All 22s can be finicky...but at 6" of barrel length a 22 Mag has the same velocity as 22 LR - rifle. You'll still get a fireball though.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 132 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Seriously, though, my daily carry is a S&W 442 with +P hollowpoints. Good pistol, just needs a proper trigger job. The Cobra 38 is for taking out the trash, or something close to hand in the truck, backup to the backup.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #64

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3 View Post
Seriously, though, my daily carry is a S&W 442 with +P hollowpoints. Good pistol, just needs a proper trigger job. The Cobra 38 is for taking out the trash, or something close to hand in the truck, backup to the backup.
Carried the 442 with CT grips for awhile - great gun, found the trigger extreamly good-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

S&W 442 is a good gun but I have never liked the idea of DAO. I have a model 60 and I have never had a problem drawing or dry firing in my pocket. The "snag problem" IMHO is blown way out of proportion.

I have found the DAO triggers on SW to be rough & probably designed that way to keep lawyers unemployed.

Talented gunsmiths are getting harder to find and shipping a pistol is $65 each way (overnight) !!! I just love the option of going single action haven't heard a good enough rationalization to exclude it.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #66
PRM

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Derringers

Since the OP ask about derringers... Here's my personal experience not what I've heard at a LGS or about a friend of a friend...

I purchased an American Derringer Model 1 in .45LC/.410 with 3 inch barrels in 1990. It's been a fun gun that fills a unique place in my small collection.

I've got Detective Specials, a couple of J Frames, and a Walther - not going to get into on ammo capacity or what is a better SD firearm. Just the derringer!

Mine has been on numerous trips with me in the woods. Loaded with field shot at close range, it makes short work of snakes. It is also a fairly close range gun as far as accuracy and within its limitations is effective.

With .45 LC out to about 10 yards its accurate enough to do the job. The .45 LC with Smokeless Powder is a handful. I have .45 LCs loaded with black powder that are very pleasant to shoot and are more fun than the 4th of July on the range. Want to start a conversation on a range - touch off one of those. The flame, smoke, and deep throated boom will bring smiles up and down the line.

The .000 Buck in .2.5 inch shells is a comfortable round in this gun. Out to about 7 yards it too is effective.

I've been very pleased with my American Derringer - and yes those are pre-ban elephant ivory grips on it.

I've never fired a Bond Arms - they have a great rep with the SASS shooters. One thing about the Bond that is an outstanding feature is the ability to buy additional caliber barrels and interchange them.

img_2449.jpg   img_2448.jpg  

Last edited by PRM; 10-27-2012 at 09:02 PM.
People Like This