Derringers, what one to buy? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Derringers, what one to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I like these little charters. This is an older design that has been working well much longer than the semi auto fans parents have been living. Don't let the remarks about trigger pull bother you. It's a double action. You can cock the damned thing. The same place has great deals on derringers.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_203/products_id/38050/Charter+Arms+Undercover+.38spl+2%22+Stainless%2C+F ull+Rubber+Grip

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-06-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #52

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3 View Post
I've got a Cobra .38spl derringer, easy to control, very reasonable. selling point was at close range, BG gets two holes AND set on fire. SOLD!
Now! That's worthwhile!!!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #53

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut78 View Post
I appreciate everyone's input on this thread. I am looking for something very concealable that I can use at very close range. If you have other ideas, please let me know. To make things simple, I'm work at a public transportation company.
Trying to support the OP's questions. Can't tell if he really wants:
1) a derringer - as in two shot traditional style because that is the old tradition,or
2) does he want anything small like a derringer - because it is small, and he likes the idea of small - like a NAA 22, or
3) does he really want something small and concealable for his work place - as real protection?

1) I've always liked derringers historically. What was slicker than seeing your good guy drop his derringer out of his coat sleeve at the poker table in the old Westerns?! But practically - only two shots - and need to be very close range. 45 out of a derringer - kinda stiff shouting. Maybe 38...

2) There are a number of very small guns. Each has kind of it's own limitations brought on by the fact that they are so small - not easy to handle well.

3) For real protection - and small?! The Smith 438 series Airweights in 38 Special are small - 5 shots. Much more manageable than a derringer 45. -- Ruger's similar small revolver LCP comes in 38 or 357. It is very light - even lighter and thinner than the Smith. The 357 is probably a bit rough to practice with - but maybe you don't need a lot of range time with a close up protection gun.
The Ruger LCP 380 semi-auto - very small, thin, 6 shots (7 if you preload the chamber) - very concealable in pocket - especially back pocket holster. This is what I carry. It goes to all kinds of functions. You totally forget it's there. It's a little rough at the range, though. But it's always with me - it conceals so well. And it always shoots.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I have a set of 22 Mag derringers and they are a lot of fun to shoot. Every time I bring them to the range people always come over to have a look. Nice fireball but very little recoil. Ammo is cheap & getting more effective w critical defense round.

42% one shot stops - not bad for the size if it's all you got. Great range gun and I used to carry it while hiking in the desert. Snake shot - disappointing.

But for SD - I carry a Ruger LCP w CT laser. Lighter, thinner, holds more - put the red dot on the Tgt & pull trigger simple. (although the 2 holes & set them on fire line was a classic)

Why decide - buy both ! The economy needs it. Then come back w range report.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #55

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Don't care for Bond-
Like American Arms
Cobra/Davis --I just say no to---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #56

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default derringers

i've had davis now cobra enterprises , i had american derriger co and a bond arms in various calibers. what i've settled on was a high standard derringer in 22 mag. with hornady new 45 grain hp it's a excellent gun in a out standing caliber . do i ever feel outgunned ? nope a derringer in anything larger while able to produce more power is in my opinion a novelty. hared to control and useless for a quick second shot

Old 10-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #57

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default derringer

imo I would rather have an naa .22lr /.22mag black widow ...5 shots in each cyl . plus aquilla supermax .22 lr are almost equal to mags

Old 10-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

How's the action on the High Std. - no hammer, bobbed trigger, - always wanted to try one.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #59

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default high standard

it a double action only long semi- stiff tigger pull no hammer. was made in only 22 lr and 22 mag . the rights for this design were sold to a company called BJT or BTJ and they copied the design but made it in 38 special and i think 9mm. when they went under american derringer bought the rights to the design and made it in 38,357,9mm and 40 s&w. the on line gun auctions have a few of the high standards listed. if you can get your hands on one by all means get one you wont be disapointed

Old 10-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #60

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
imo I would rather have an naa .22lr /.22mag black widow ...5 shots in each cyl . plus aquilla supermax .22 lr are almost equal to mags
The aquila LR shells likely are equal to most 22 wmr rounds, since the 22 wmr is loaded with rifle powder. The CCI short barrel 22 wmr wasn't impressive in my heritage with a 6.5" barrel.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/