Derringers, what one to buy? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Derringers, what one to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Hey guys! How about another thread?

I think it would be interesting reading without hijacking this one. Thanks!
Dan FL we have 2 brands of derringers on the market. We have beaten both of them to death. We do need to start another thread. Or we can leave all this info about up close brawling buried here so we are the only ones that get educated. We don't really need to train street thugs.

Also all the things we are covering are things the OP needs to take into consideration before he chooses a pistol. Obviously he is concerned about an up close brawl. We all know a derringer does one thing very well. It reliably fires 2 shots at point blank range.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-02-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #42

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

I had a really late start in life with any firearms experience aside from a Benjamin pump pellet rifle. I was 18 the first time I had ever had the chance to fire a gun. To be honest, I was pretty nervous about it growing up. I was always told that that the "'kick' on a gun was sooo horrible". When I finally had decided that I would love to try it anyway I had never had the chance. Anyway, a guy that I worked with offered to take me out shooting with him. All he had to shoot was a derringer. So we went out to the desert and shot at beer cans with some 410 rounds. The first thing I noticed was that the grip of the gun was really small. This made me uncomfortable from the get go. But it was still pretty fun. He told me "see, I told you there wasn't anything to worry about". And I agreed, it wasn't too bad. He handed me a 45lc and said "put this in there". I did and asked him in a really concerned way "is this going to kick as bad?" He said "no way, those 410's are about as bad as it gets". I proceeded pretty sure he was fooling with me. Gripping the grip a little tighter than previously I squeezed the trigger and the freaked thing went off just about flipped out of my hand and in to my face!! I hated it and laughed my butt off at the same time. He had a pretty good laugh too. But that was my derringer experience right there with my first shooting experience. Fortunately it didn't scar me enough to stay away from firearms...., well I didn't get my first gun 'till I was 29 years old but still, not forever.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #43

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Ask Abe Lincoln about derringer effectiveness....

Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #44

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM
Ask Abe Lincoln about derringer effectiveness....
Blunt! We call that being blunt. Some say crass, but I like blunt.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 246 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 766

This thread is training "street thugs"?

Old 10-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #46

I appreciate everyone's input on this thread. I am looking for something very concealable that I can use at very close range. If you have other ideas, please let me know. To make things simple, I'm work at a public transportation company.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #47

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut78 View Post
I appreciate everyone's input on this thread. I am looking for something very concealable that I can use at very close range. If you have other ideas, please let me know. To make things simple, I'm work at a public transportation company.
I think the derringer was mainly designed as a suit vest concealable gun. The concept evolved into a "ladies" gun and generic ultra-concealable gun. There are a lot of other guns that would be easier to use when you needed them, and still have the small size to fit in your pocket. Semi-autos will mostly be 380's or 22's. You could always go the revolver route. Taurus and Ruger both make ultralite snub-nose revolvers in larger calibers like .357mag, which is a devastatingly awesome round to have in your pocket. They're 5 round revolvers, but you really need to pick one up to realize how light they are. They're practically featherweight. I'd go for something hammerless if you're going to be storing it directly in a pocket, and get something with a ramped "snagless" front sight. You'd have to do a bit of looking around to find something with the features you need.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/75410

Last edited by slog; 10-04-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #48

Likes Given: 2

I personally had a Cobra .38 Spl, quite reliable and easy to carry. I actually became rather good with it. I could easily put 6 out of 6 into a pie plate at 10 yds. As for the Heizer Double-Tap, the only advantage I can see is it being double action, and to me that dosen't justify a $300 to $600 price difference

NAHC Life Member
G&G CETME Club
The PSL Lounge
Minister

Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #49

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp

I second the http://heizerfirearms.com/double tap, how cool is the titanium model. .45 or 9mm or both with an extra barrel .

If you really want a derringer than you really need to look at the http://heizerfirearms.com/double tap
Yeah, it also holds an extra 2 in the grip, talk about cool. So you can reload if ya need to and find cover somewhere. Let alone semi-auto!!!

Old 10-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #50

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
I second the http://heizerfirearms.com/double tap, how cool is the titanium model. .45 or 9mm or both with an extra barrel .

If you really want a derringer than you really need to look at the http://heizerfirearms.com/double tap
I still say that a $700 price tag is to much for a derringer. For $700 I could buy real nice sub compact or two and enough ammo to become proficent with it or them.

NAHC Life Member
G&G CETME Club
The PSL Lounge
Minister