Derringers, what one to buy? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Derringers, what one to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3 View Post
I've got a Cobra .38spl derringer, easy to control, very reasonable. selling point was at close range, BG gets two holes AND set on fire. SOLD!
WHAT? that's awesome! how does it set on fire though?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 144 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Jet of flame when fired

Old 09-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #23

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3 View Post
Jet of flame when fired
whaaaa? I don't get it.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #24

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why would you bet your life on a two shot single action handgun? They are clumsey inaccurate pocket pistols. Do you really want to face a clip fed .40 with one of these museum guns?

Last edited by nitestalker; 09-30-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #25

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Why would you bet your life on a two shot single action handgun? They are clumsey inaccurate pocket pistols. Do you really want to face a clip fed .40 with one of these museum guns?
In a normal SD situation I would not be scared. We don't live at the OK corral. I wouldn't even use my gun but I would use my military training and stab you about 75 times.

Honest officer! It was the worse case of suicide I have ever seen. He fell on the knife 75 times.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #26

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
whaaaa? I don't get it.

I suppose the barrel is so short that the powder is still burning when the bullet leaves. Snub nose revolvers also have a rep for spouting flame out the muzzle. Of course, I'd think this would mean that the bullet doesn't get the full benefit of the load.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #27

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

You don't go to the OK corral but you are a close friend of Jim Bowie?

Old 10-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
You don't go to the OK corral but you are a close friend of Jim Bowie?
No, just human nature. When you pulled the gun I would grab the slide and push it down. You would clench trying to control the gun. The gun would go off when you clenched. Then it would be like AIT training I would hang on to you and just keep stabbing until you released the gun that won't function.

It's very easy to jam a semi-auto with your hand. I am sure you have seen the youtube video where the guy stops a Glock from cycling with his thumb. If you haven't seen it search for man gets thumb severed by a glock.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #29

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

I have a cheapo Cobra in 9mm. It's got an extremely stiff trigger, requiring a two handed hold, and while the recoil is more potent in such a small body, the two fisted approach allows for enough control that its almost unimpactful. So I respectfully, but strongly disagree with the emphatically negative remakrs toward that aspect. However, having to cock for each pull of the trigger and having to use both hands on something that would be used so close up leaves one to think, how useful is it really. I'm here to say, it isn't, at all. It's fun and cool, but useless. Get a mouse gun like a Ruger LCP or one of the knockoffs, that are just as good, and call it a good day.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #30

For the purposes of a derringer I would rather have a small revolver. decent trigger pull 6 shots and it can be used for a club. I would avoid semi-autos for self defense in derringer range, there is to much to go wrong. A Charter Arms Undercover .38spl 2" weighs 16 oz and fills the bill.

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-01-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Wiebelhaus Likes This