Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Derringers, what one to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I think thats what his is because I think he said he has shot 22lr thru it
The thing about the 22wmr is it's loaded with rifle powder. The 22LR will prolly out perform the 22wmr.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #12

Liked 1918 Times on 1144 Posts
Likes Given: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
The thing about the 22wmr is it's loaded with rifle powder. The 22LR will prolly out perform the 22wmr.
But the magnum will make a nice fireball

Old 09-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #13

Liked 1641 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

Quote:
Not even close. The 22 mag does a lot more damage, even out of the short barrel. I have thrown short pieces of 1x2 boards on the ground to practice with. The 22lr puts holes in it. The 22 mag tears it up. You have a much better selection of bullets with a 22 mag. I would prefer to carry my 45 acp. But sometimes that is not possible. The NAA mini is about all I can carry in my gym shorts pocket without it being obvious.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #14

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

The Bond Arms Cowboy Defender is a badazz little gun.

You can buy additional barrels to switch calibers.

The lowly .410 shell has received alot of upgrades since the Taurus Judge came into being. Remington makes a 2 1/2" HD round with 4 pellets.

Winchester PDX does theirs with discs and birdshot, essentially making little Rhodesian Jungle rounds. They sell it in combo packs with .45 longs.

Recoil is there, but I haven't found it to be unmanageable. It's frankly fun.

Primary carry? Maybe not. BUG? In my view, adequate.

Check their website, alot of good stuff there.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #15

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Do modern "derringers" still have the problem where if you don't manually engage the safety after loading that when you close the barrel, the hammer would strike the round?

I'd go for the double tap if you can afford it either way.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #16

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Was visiting with another customer in my LGS a while back on the subject of Derringers. He said he'd always wanted one & finally sprung for the money to get one in .45 Colt. Said he shot it ONE time.

Last edited by gollygee; 09-29-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #17

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I noticed that CCI is loading short barrel ammo for the 22WMR. If the ammo becomes readily available I might get a NAA black widow

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #18

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
I noticed that CCI is loading short barrel ammo for the 22WMR. If the ammo becomes readily available I might get a NAA black widow
I've seen that faster burning stuff - 22 Mag - at gun shows. It's around.
I've got a Ruger 22 single six convertible with a magnum cylinder. Shooting ordinary 22 Mag through it does produce a fireball. This new ammo would help.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #19

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus
Do modern "derringers" still have the problem where if you don't manually engage the safety after loading that when you close the barrel, the hammer would strike the round?

I'd go for the double tap if you can afford it either way.
I second the http://heizerfirearms.com/double tap, how cool is the titanium model. .45 or 9mm or both with an extra barrel .

If you really want a derringer than you really need to look at the http://heizerfirearms.com/double tap
Old 09-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 132 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 135

I've got a Cobra .38spl derringer, easy to control, very reasonable. selling point was at close range, BG gets two holes AND set on fire. SOLD!