Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Derringer

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PappaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 63
Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

This was several years ago. I was looking at an interesting auction on GunAuction.Com. I didn't end up buying that gun but I noticed at the end of the description, the seller said to watch for more auctions because he had just received several large consignments from multiple P.D.'s. So I called the guy up and in the course of talking he said he had a lot of .25 acp's that came in on the consignments. I asked him what he could do if I bought in bulk. After some haggling we settled on 30 assorted guns for $10 a peice. I figured selling them individually I could pretty easily triple or quadruple my money. I had them sent to the local gun store. The guy behind the counter did the transfer and I took them home. About 2 hours later someone knocked on the door. The local tribal P.D. Was in the middle of an anti-drug/anti-gang federal grant that included the use of a Deputy U.S. Marshal. And there he stood on the porch. As the then head of the local emergency rescue squad I had dealt with him before and he knew me pretty well. After I told him I got 30 guns for $10 a peice and assured him they wouldn't end up in the hands of the local gangs, we spent the next hour drinking coffee and talking about guns.

__________________

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

PappaJim is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #62
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,839
Liked 1274 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaJim View Post
This was several years ago. I was looking at an interesting auction on GunAuction.Com. I didn't end up buying that gun but I noticed at the end of the description, the seller said to watch for more auctions because he had just received several large consignments from multiple P.D.'s. So I called the guy up and in the course of talking he said he had a lot of .25 acp's that came in on the consignments. I asked him what he could do if I bought in bulk. After some haggling we settled on 30 assorted guns for $10 a peice. I figured selling them individually I could pretty easily triple or quadruple my money. I had them sent to the local gun store. The guy behind the counter did the transfer and I took them home. About 2 hours later someone knocked on the door. The local tribal P.D. Was in the middle of an anti-drug/anti-gang federal grant that included the use of a Deputy U.S. Marshal. And there he stood on the porch. As the then head of the local emergency rescue squad I had dealt with him before and he knew me pretty well. After I told him I got 30 guns for $10 a peice and assured him they wouldn't end up in the hands of the local gangs, we spent the next hour drinking coffee and talking about guns.
If you do everything legally, absolutely nothing to fear! I imagine LEOs were worried that such cheap guns might wind up on the streets and they didn't want to face them one at a time. A quick check and everything is good. I bought a quantity of weapons once and fully expected a visit, but never got one. I'm also known with local law enforcement for reporting crimes and being on the side of the good guys.
__________________

.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PappaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 63
Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I am going to go back to the original topic of the thread for a second. Yesterday I had to run to the bank to pay the morgage. Right across the street from the bank is the largest gun store within 100 miles. They have a smaller store front but a larger gun selection than Gander Mountain. This is why I make sure I go to the bank first every month. They had the new Double Tap's on hand. I can't get them right now from our distributer so actually putting hand on gun was fun. They are a bit thin for my large hand. But it wasn't a bad gun. It sat a little higher in my hand compared to the traditional Remington style Derringer, but it was not uncomfortable. All in all I only saw three things I would change if the company wanted to make a lot of sales.

1. I would look at other calibers. Currently they only offer 9mm and .45 acp. Get them out there in all the calibers and people like me would buy each one.

2. They really should get the MSRP down. Their web site says $500 base price with their ported and titanium models going higher. The gun store wanted $570 for a basic 9mm model.

3. They really need to get them out to the stores. These guns were introduced at Shot 2013 and these two are the first ones I have actually seen.

Having not shot them I was still pretty impressed by the little gun. I think in a few years when they are no longer new and hard to come by I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.

__________________

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.


Last edited by PappaJim; 07-11-2013 at 10:10 PM.
PappaJim is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #64
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 6,981
Liked 2753 Times on 1895 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Default

Jim This is that Titanium Over Under?? Yes I have Seen Photos but none in person. I might try putting one of those in my Pocket before I put something with an exposed Hammer in my Pocket(exposed meaning STICKIng out )...Agree on the MSRP being too high..but i like the "Two spare Rounds in the Grip" concept, But I was also reading my 2nd Article(this one In Shotgun News) About the Charter Arms Pitbull 6 Shot (in .9mm & .40S&W). If the situation called for longer sleeves and a JACKET(only 2 months a year here where we really need Fall/Light Winter wardrobe) I might consider a .9 revolver as either a main Gun or as a Back up to a .9 Semi-Auto....

__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #65
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,839
Liked 1274 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Default

I have to agree on the price of the Double Tap. For $799, I'll buy two Bond Arms in .45LC and not worry about reloading the extra rounds! The double-strike and separate firing pins are a nice quality touch. Using ACP rounds means that they have to use a clip to hold the two rounds together - at least that's what it looks like on their homepage. I don't like extra pieces to make the gun work: If clip is lost, rounds won't stay in chamber.

I will be interested to see first shooter's reviews.

__________________

.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #66
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 859
Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
I have to agree on the price of the Double Tap. For $799, I'll buy two Bond Arms in .45LC and not worry about reloading the extra rounds! The double-strike and separate firing pins are a nice quality touch. Using ACP rounds means that they have to use a clip to hold the two rounds together - at least that's what it looks like on their homepage. I don't like extra pieces to make the gun work: If clip is lost, rounds won't stay in chamber.

I will be interested to see first shooter's reviews.
The heizer double tap?
I thought it was a cool derringer, till gun websites did a review video of it. It has no ejector (casings need to be pushed out), it's over priced, and it stings like hell (but it's a carry gun, so no matter). It still seems kinda neat, though.
__________________
Gizord1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #67
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,839
Liked 1274 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
The heizer double tap?
I thought it was a cool derringer, till gun websites did a review video of it. It has no ejector (casings need to be pushed out), it's over priced, and it stings like hell (but it's a carry gun, so no matter). It still seems kinda neat, though.
No ejector? The website said the new design had less parts for better reliability, but that's a strange one to leave out. I wonder how fast it can be reloaded with the two extra rounds in the grip if you don't have an ejector?
__________________

.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 859
Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

No ejector? The website said the new design had less parts for better reliability, but that's a strange one to leave out. I wonder how fast it can be reloaded with the two extra rounds in the grip if you don't have an ejector?
Not fast enough!
I'd rather have something like a .380 or a .32 pocket pistol. Just as small, less recoil, and more shots.
__________________
Gizord1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #69
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 6,981
Liked 2753 Times on 1895 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1

Not fast enough!
I'd rather have something like a .380 or a .32 pocket pistol. Just as small, less recoil, and more shots.
Have to agree W/ You Gizord! I Can do (deliver) more of a response with 8 rounds of .32ACP HP's or .380 HP's then with two shots from a .38 spl. derringer. Wish I could find a Semmerling in a smaller round then .45ACP!! 4 rounds instead of 2!! now THATS a BACK up GUN!!!
__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #70
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,839
Liked 1274 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Have to agree W/ You Gizord! I Can do (deliver) more of a response with 8 rounds of .32ACP HP's or .380 HP's then with two shots from a .38 spl. derringer. Wish I could find a Semmerling in a smaller round then .45ACP!! 4 rounds instead of 2!! now THATS a BACK up GUN!!!
I have to agree with both of you. With today's technology, reliable pocket autos deliver more chances to stop an attack and are far easier to reload. I think the only appeal that an $800 two-shot is going to have is for the person who has to collect everything. That amount of money can get you a used S&W N-frame!
__________________

.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Derringer Gojubrian Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 43 05-17-2013 04:24 AM
Derringer? firearmking General Handgun Discussion 26 04-25-2012 01:02 AM
.320 cal derringer??? Papa_Woody General Handgun Discussion 3 02-21-2012 03:13 AM
A derringer? pumpkinball General Handgun Discussion 9 07-29-2010 01:28 PM
Anybody got a derringer? Rick1967 General Handgun Discussion 3 07-08-2010 05:14 PM