Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Derringer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #51
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3002 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
Cobra is the cheapest reliable derringer-style gun I would trust for regular shooting. Bond Arms are built like a brick ****house, but carry the extra weight and cost. Also, this is a gun that is frequently purchased by shooters who find they don't like it, so I would check GunBroker.com and particularly Armslist.com for a local seller who is disinterested in his recent purchase and willing to discount. ;-)
Agree. Our Bond Arms .22Mag(the wife's) could be used as a club when empty.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 07-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13

Well thanks Greg and what's this about the naa .22 are they worth 250 for the pocket does the .22 magnum really pack enough punch for the ole pocket like those stats say! Just makes me wonder
Yes it does out to about 21 Ft.(7 yds)!! I have the .22Mag. NAA Pug on Lay away,..As i mentioned,..I really wanted the Mini-Master,...but the PUG is simpler to load & unload...and to quote Mr. Francis V. Zappa,..I don't need to go to the White zone to unload! But back to topic,..They even have a model that comes with it's own Holster grip that the Frame of the gun folds into!! very simple pocket piece for back up or just for when you don't need a full sized gun if you can imagine that...but most of all,..they are affordable! I may actually wind up with two NEW guns for my Birthday next week! I also entered a raffle at one of our LGS' $20 bux a ticket but there giving away 5 guns,..and first prize gets 3!! The NAA folder in .22LR, the sccy .9mm, and a rock river arms LAR-9!!
You know i entered 3 times already!

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 07-07-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #53

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I guess I didn't realize we were fighting either. I always figured two gentelmen could discuss opposing views with out it getting into an argument but if this was indeed my first fight here on this forum then it was mighty painless. Church Day today and in honor of this thread, I believe that the Davis .38 will go along with it's old friend the .380 Makarov.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #54

It's a good thing for the first place winner that Arizona doesn't have one of those stupid "one gun a month" laws. Good luck.

Jim Richards

Old 07-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaJim
It's a good thing for the first place winner that Arizona doesn't have one of those stupid "one gun a month" laws. Good luck.
Sign I see at several churches here and even at the one Jewish Temple here with in a 40 mile radius: "PLEASE LEAVE YOUR GUNS AT HOME When you Come to worship!!" I wonder what the Rabbi(Arizona's first Women Rabbi!) would tell a Policeman?

Yeah they don't(we don't have a law that limits how many in Az.),..but some LGS owners try to play it like there is. One told me "if someone walks in here w/the money to buy that many at once, they most prob. will not get a "Proceed" on their purchase right away anyway..." Ok so what if I buy one today and you lay away 3 others and I pay them off at 2 week intervals???

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #56

I don't want to hijack this thread away from it's original topic, but I can tell you from personal experience that NICS will approve a 30 handgun multiple purchase. However if you live on a low income, gang infested, Indian reservation and by 30 cheap .25 acp's, they WILL have a Deputy U.S. Marshal come vist you two hours after the proceed goes through.

Jim Richards

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #57
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1316 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

CB, all I can say is that stats are stats. Based on actual shootings, how can you argue it?

Dr. football, I have seen churches that allow carry, but they require you to provide your credentials so they can give you a letter that allows you to carry on church property and church outings. One church in my area has a proficiency officer who takes you to the range to prove your ability (really fun trip with lunch provided!) and then the church issues a letter. One pastor told me that they just want to know who is carrying and maintain control of their private property, which I can understand. I would contact a church official (unarmed, of course) and explain your position. Very few will turn you down outright.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #58
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaJim View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread away from it's original topic, but I can tell you from personal experience that NICS will approve a 30 handgun multiple purchase. However if you live on a low income, gang infested, Indian reservation and by 30 cheap .25 acp's, they WILL have a Deputy U.S. Marshal come vist you two hours after the proceed goes through.
Yeah, number of guns has nothing to do with whether or not your check will proceed or not. That sounds like the gun store owner playing government. In his position, I might casually ask why so many at once, but if you were conversational and had a good reason, there's no reason to stop it. Many people get windfalls like tax returns and want to spend it on what they like. :-)

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

Yeah, number of guns has nothing to do with whether or not your check will proceed or not. That sounds like the gun store owner playing government. In his position, I might casually ask why so many at once, but if you were conversational and had a good reason, there's no reason to stop it. Many people get windfalls like tax returns and want to spend it on what they like. :-)
Very true, and that's what took place: I got an advance pay out on my Late Aunt's estate, so we wanted to buy more then One each(Me & the DW) plus I wanted At least one "His & Hers" set...Guy (LGS owner) tried to Tell me he could only sell us 2 at a time and only but so much ammo...I was buying 2 .32ACP's among the purchases, as it was he was over priced by about $100 give or take a few dollars on both guns( a Stainless Walther PP for me and a Stainless PPK for her...) Plus her Browning .22 target & 2 shotguns( a Mossberg SA-20 Tactical & the Rossi Judge .410 Tactical carbine.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #60
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Very true, and that's what took place: I got an advance pay out on my Late Aunt's estate, so we wanted to buy more then One each(Me & the DW) plus I wanted At least one "His & Hers" set...Guy (LGS owner) tried to Tell me he could only sell us 2 at a time and only but so much ammo...I was buying 2 .32ACP's among the purchases, as it was he was over priced by about $100 give or take a few dollars on both guns( a Stainless Walther PP for me and a Stainless PPK for her...) Plus her Browning .22 target & 2 shotguns( a Mossberg SA-20 Tactical & the Rossi Judge .410 Tactical carbine.
Sounds like a nice his & hers collection! For those that have never had a deputy sheriff or U.S. Marshal knock on their door for a gun purchase, how did that encounter go? Was he professional or did you get hassled?