Derringer - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Derringer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

TekGreg

I agree that the Derringer is not the optimal primary carry gun. But I have owned a lot of different ones over the years and find they are fun to play with at the range. And there are times an extra pair of .38 hollow points in your jeans pocket makes a guy a little more comfortable.

Where I was raised, we were brought up that if you found some one broke down on the road you helped them out and gave them a ride. Where I live now it's not a good idea to do that if your alone. With the inside of most vehicles made today being so molded to your body and me being 6 foot and 400 plus pounds it can be a bit harder and slower to get the Beretta out of its holster and into action than it is at the range. But a Davis .38 Derringer carrying a pair of 110 grain Winchester Sliver Tip Hollow Points will come out of a shirt pocket pretty easily if your passenger decides to get ugly.

I've looked at the Bond Arms guns, and wouldn't be against owning one of them some day, but I just haven't yet. I just have this vision in my head that I can't quite get ride of. It involves me sitting down at the bench at the pistol range and opening a nice felt lined wood box containing two matching 6-8 inch barreled stainless Derringers with adjustable target sights. I know they wouldn't be practical for much more than punching holes in paper, but they would be fun, and it would be something nobody else had.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #42
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3315 Times on 2249 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaJim
I actually like the Derringer. I guess I'm the flip side of Drfootballs coin. I don't like the NAA Mini I have quite as well as the three Derringers I have. I have the Derringer in .22 lr, .32 acp, and .38. The .38 has even done duty as a back up from time to time. And I would not hesitate to buy another one if I found one for a good price. I personally don't think I would be interested in a .500 Derringer but if it was safe under the pressures generated by the .500, why not. I have even thought about talking to our custom gun builder about taking a larger .38 Derringer frame and building a 6 or 8 inch barreled target gun.
I should clarify my prior comment: I didn't say I don't LIKE them,..they are cool and they remind us of a different time. It's just not my Main choice as a back up gun. The .22 the wife has is a good last ditch/emergency gun. The .32 she can not shoot at all, and with Carpal Tunnel & R. Arthritis it's hard for her to manipulate smaller guns at times. I could not imagine her trying to shoot a .38 derringer! I have thought about a semerling for myself as a BUG if i could find one "not" in .45....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #43

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

I carried a davis .38 derringer for a few years. use it many times to dispatch wounded deer while hunting. (put it in his ear and fired)

Old 07-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #44

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

DrFootball

I understood your post. You just prefer the NAA to the Derringer. I just prefer the Derringer to the NAA. We are just opposite sides of the same coin on this one. So there was no clarification needed on my part. And to be honest and fair to the NAA, I have always wanted one of their Mini-Masters. But they just are not that abundant at the gun shops and shows I go to. Scarcer then hens teeth here.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaJim
DrFootball

I understood your post. You just prefer the NAA to the Derringer. I just prefer the Derringer to the NAA. We are just opposite sides of the same coin on this one. So there was no clarification needed on my part. And to be honest and fair to the NAA, I have always wanted one of their Mini-Masters. But they just are not that abundant at the gun shops and shows I go to. Scarcer then hens teeth here.
I would Like the NAA even more if I could get the mini master without the "latch" but an extractor like the Pug. NAA's(even their baby autos) are plentiful here because LASER LYTE is local to us that they put the mini laser on just about everything NAA makes...
I suppose If someone GAVE me a Bond Arms .22LR or .22Mag. I'd find a use for it!!!!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #46
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Wow, that is the most polite "gun fight" I have seen on the boards lately! LOL! And it's just like everything else, different strokes for different folks. Some can make great use of a derringer and health problems may keep others from firing it comfortably. At least we can be open to the fact that while a particular gun does not fit into our use, it may be perfect for someone else under different circumstances. That's a very intellectual argument and the easiest way to disagree!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #47

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Anyone have any recommendation for 9mm derringer thinking about the cobra just a cheap fun shooter really and don't have to add calibers

Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #48
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Cobra is the cheapest reliable derringer-style gun I would trust for regular shooting. Bond Arms are built like a brick ****house, but carry the extra weight and cost. Also, this is a gun that is frequently purchased by shooters who find they don't like it, so I would check GunBroker.com and particularly Armslist.com for a local seller who is disinterested in his recent purchase and willing to discount. ;-)

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #49

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
Cobra is the cheapest reliable derringer-style gun I would trust for regular shooting. Bond Arms are built like a brick ****house, but carry the extra weight and cost. Also, this is a gun that is frequently purchased by shooters who find they don't like it, so I would check GunBroker.com and particularly Armslist.com for a local seller who is disinterested in his recent purchase and willing to discount. ;-)
Well thanks Greg and what's this about the naa .22 are they worth 250 for the pocket does the .22 magnum really pack enough punch for the ole pocket like those stats say! Just makes me wonder

Old 07-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
Wow, that is the most polite "gun fight" I have seen on the boards lately! LOL! And it's just like everything else, different strokes for different folks. Some can make great use of a derringer and health problems may keep others from firing it comfortably. At least we can be open to the fact that while a particular gun does not fit into our use, it may be perfect for someone else under different circumstances. That's a very intellectual argument and the easiest way to disagree!
I try not to "fight" too much anymore Greg. I spent 11+ years In the service solving other people problems & then 25+ In Teaching Spec. Ed HS as well as College. Try telling a 16 yr old it's not the end of the world that her BF left her for a 19 yr old,..and no excuse for not doing My Communications HM. wk.!!