Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Derringer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #31
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2824 Times on 1938 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

Oh, c'mon! They must be accurate to at least five whole feet! Plenty of room to defend yourself. <sarcasm>
Sarcastic-ness Noted:

True the larger caliber Derringers don't get very many "center of target shots" at 10 & 15 ft.,...but the rimfire ones can be pretty accurate out to 15 Ft. if they were "Well" made. I'm still more interested in North American Arms' Mini-Revolvers...esp. the two newer ones that don't need a "latch" to take out the cyl. to empty spent shells....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 07-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #32
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball

Sarcastic-ness Noted:

True the larger caliber Derringers don't get very many "center of target shots" at 10 & 15 ft.,...but the rimfire ones can be pretty accurate out to 15 Ft. if they were "Well" made. I'm still more interested in North American Arms' Mini-Revolvers...esp. the two newer ones that don't need a "latch" to take out the cyl. to empty spent shells....
Do you know the names of those newer models? I didn't realize you needed a latch to open them and remove fired brass.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #33
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2824 Times on 1938 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Quote:

Do you know the names of those newer models? I didn't realize you needed a latch to open them and remove fired brass.
I read in one of the Gun Rags that the New .22LR/.22Mag. Pug models(1.1 " & 1.5/8" tubes) have a real extractor. I had wanted the Mini Master with the laser in either 3" or 4" just to fiddle around with(esp. since Laser Lyte is local to us and they give the LGS's discount pricing),..but then I found out about the Latch system, which makes it impractical for a normal reload. Would I carry one as a back-up? Maybe if it was a bit simpler to reload...Would I carry a large caliber derringer? Doubtful...Do I like how they look? Sure, but these days they are more a conversation piece then anything else. We're going to put one of them on the Wall with some other replica guns.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 07-06-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball

I read in one of the Gun Rags that the New .22LR/.22Mag. Pug models(1.1 " & 1.5/8" tubes) have a real extractor. I had wanted the Mini Master with the laser in either 3" or 4" just to fiddle around with(esp. since Laser Lyte is local to us and they give the LGS's discount pricing),..but then I found out about the Latch system, which makes it impractical for a normal reload. Would I carry one as a back-up? Maybe if it was a bit simpler to reload...Would I carry a large caliber derringer? Doubtful...Do I like how they look? Sure, but these days they are more a conversation piece then anything else. We're going to put one of them on the Wall with some other replica guns.
Dr, for their size, I can see them, especially in .22 magnum, being carried as a deep cover backup: underwear (sew a pocket), shoe, the famous belt buckle) as they could be used if you had a jam, missed round, whatever failure and just needed something until you could get your main gun back into the fight. Bet your life on it as a main carry gun? Certainly not. But it might be useful, especially in super-hot weather areas over 95 degrees a lot) or for women that have to go tight-skinned or skimpy on their clothes (Hooters waitress or bikini coffee shop) as a backup or a quick shot while they grab their bigger gun from purse or under counter.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #35

Liked 79 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:

Dr, for their size, I can see them, especially in .22 magnum, being carried as a deep cover backup: underwear (sew a pocket), shoe, the famous belt buckle) as they could be used if you had a jam, missed round, whatever failure and just needed something until you could get your main gun back into the fight. Bet your life on it as a main carry gun? Certainly not. But it might be useful, especially in super-hot weather areas over 95 degrees a lot) or for women that have to go tight-skinned or skimpy on their clothes (Hooters waitress or bikini coffee shop) as a backup or a quick shot while they grab their bigger gun from purse or under counter.
Haha where in the world could the hooters girls put a gun at lol

Old 07-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13

Haha where in the world could the hooters girls put a gun at lol
That's one of those questions it's better to imagine than to answer. :-D

Old 07-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #37

Liked 79 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:

That's one of those questions it's better to imagine than to answer. :-D
Maybe a flashbang holster

Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #38

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I actually like the Derringer. I guess I'm the flip side of Drfootballs coin. I don't like the NAA Mini I have quite as well as the three Derringers I have. I have the Derringer in .22 lr, .32 acp, and .38. The .38 has even done duty as a back up from time to time. And I would not hesitate to buy another one if I found one for a good price. I personally don't think I would be interested in a .500 Derringer but if it was safe under the pressures generated by the .500, why not. I have even thought about talking to our custom gun builder about taking a larger .38 Derringer frame and building a 6 or 8 inch barreled target gun.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Last edited by PappaJim; 07-06-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: fat fingures and small keys don't always spell words correctly.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #39

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
a Model A with a Keith Black Hemi. WHY???

I would kill for one.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 07-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #40
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaJim
I actually like the Derringer. I guess I'm the flip side of Drfootballs coin. I don't like the NAA Mini I have quite as well as the three Derringers I have. I have the Derringer in .22 or, .32 acp, and .38. The .38 has even done duty as a back up from time to time. And I would not hesitate to buy another one if I found one for a good price. I personally don't think I would be interested in a .500 Derringer but if it was safe under the pressures generated by the .500, why not. I have even thought about talking to our custom gun builder about taking a larger .38 Derringer frame and building a 6 or 8 inch barreled target gun.
It all comes down to what you are most comfortable with. Bond Arms has some longer-barrelled derringers in their line up, but I don't believe they get out to 6 to 8 inches...yet. The only reason most don't advocate their use as a primary defense weapon is the accuracy and limited number of rounds. With people being attacked by groups of 3-8 these days, two rounds leaves you seriously under-gunned! But there is nothing wrong with it for backup if you like it, practice with it and shoot it accurately.