Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Derringer (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/derringer-93326/)

cblowe13 07-04-2013 02:34 AM

Derringer

Just a thought on a .500 s&w derringer lol do you think you could keep it in your hand.

DrumJunkie 07-04-2013 02:39 AM

Good lord!:eek:
I'll bet it's real cool but I don't think I'd want much to do with it.. that be a lot to hold on to.;)

aandabooks 07-04-2013 03:04 AM

Would the tip of the cartridge be sticking out the end of the barrel? That would be more than a handful.

robocop10mm 07-04-2013 03:36 AM

Deringers are about as useful as Model A Fords. Nostalgic? Yes. Practical? No. They are best relegated to novelty status.

A Derringer in .500 S&W Is like a Model A with a Keith Black Hemi. WHY???

c3shooter 07-04-2013 03:36 AM

Could you "keep it in your hand?"

Should not be a problem.

Now, the surgery to REMOVE it from your hand- THAT is going to be a problem.....

:rolleyes:

DrumJunkie 07-04-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1294295)
Deringers are about as useful as Model A Fords. Nostalgic? Yes. Practical? No. They are best relegated to novelty status.

This hit me as funny but true. I will admit to owning a Derringer in 38 spl. I bought it off an old lady that really wasn't all there mostly because I was afraid she would try to use it when in one of her not all there moments and hurt herself.
It's sat in a lock box for a while. I get it out to clean it and put it back in it's box. I've never tried to shoot it. It looks to work fine though. It's a FIE, still have the cardboard box it come new in. I think I might still have the manual too....Someplace. I'd sell it but I just never seen the need. It takes up next to no room so I kind of forget about it until it's get out the guns to clean them tie and I"ll clean and oil it and back into the box.

I've just not seen a time when I thought to myself man..I really want to carry that thing. I guess it's better than a rock. A lot of people seem to like them though. They must..People are still making them and they are getting bought.

Rick1967 07-04-2013 04:12 AM

I know somebody made one in 45-70. I have seen you-tube videos of people shooting them. Ridiculous...that is all I can say about it. I could see a use for a little one in 22lr maybe for survival or something. My neighbor has one in 45 colt/410. I don't know why.

cblowe13 07-04-2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks
Would the tip of the cartridge be sticking out the end of the barrel? That would be more than a handful.

Didn't think about that. I can't imagine. Just things I think of working third

cblowe13 07-04-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm

The question is why not?

robocop10mm 07-04-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13 (Post 1294363)
The question is why not?

To each his own. Thee are people who jsut do stuff "because". I've seen blown alcohol Pintos, just because. I remember a Boss 302 powered 4x4 with an MG body on it, just because.