Derringer? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Derringer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 02:47 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like Derringers, I have had three in the 45lc/.410, the latest one is an American Derringer and chambered in the 3" .410 Magnum- Ouch, I also have had a .38 and of course I have a High Standard .22mag, I remember watching my Dad shoot a rattlesnake with his High Standard (had.22 mag birdshot loaded in it) Wow, what an impession that left on me, I was 10 years old at the time. Neat thing is the snake actually strikes at the bird shot, took his whole head off except for a little string of skin (Dad got that too, with the second shot).

Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default DERRINGER? I just don't get the appeal?

Hello all/Responce to Bill Deserthills

Ron L = SERESURPLUS

Back in the "Day" I carried a Gerber Mark 1 Boot knife and a Excam 38 special Derringer in one boot? Then over the years I had a 22 Mag Davis and yes, I also had a 22MG Hi Standard! While I did like the flat, out of the way appearence of those, I better liked a small J Frame 38 or 22 Auto like the Beretta M-21 or Jetfire? 2 shots is just not enough some times and I really didn't like th sites, the grip or the feel of too many othem?I guess, to each his own, But I think you can do better for the same $ as well as size and caliber? Just my Opinion, but one formed over 40 years of playing at it?

Old 06-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own several guns... buy my little NAA .22 LR 5 shot goes everywhere. It is the gun you can carry when you can't carry anything else.

But more importantly, it is the gun you can go to when you are in a real bad situation... as I tell people either I'm on the ground with someone on top of me and have no other gun, or I'm creating space (shooting and backing up for cover -- or running if the other person only has a knife... lol). Yea, I know, none of you commandos would end up on the ground with someone on top of you.. lol... don't laugh at me...

I am baffled when I hear comments about a 22. First person I saw killed was killed in 1978 with one shot in the chest with a 22 from maybe 10 feet out. He will never beat another woman and she will live to kill another woman beater.

Second person I saw killed was knocked off with a 25 outside a club. Shot two or three times.

Of course, a 22 would not be my "primary" weapon.... and I'd like to think I can talk my way out of a situation before having to use such a small caliber... if you have no other choice, then it is better than nothing.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #24

They're cute. I used to own a few. Then, one day, I actually had to use one. With the timely arrival of two tough cops I managed to squeak through. I got rid of my derringers after that. (And developed a healthy personal aversion to all small, 'mouse guns'.)

Old 06-15-2008, 01:59 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8855 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

Can you kill an opponent with a 22 or 25? Without a doubt. The issue is not lethality, it is stopping your opponent. Regretfully, 22s and 25s do not have a very high "one shot stop" track record. If my opponent dies 10 minutes AFTER I shoot him, he still has 10 minutes to do me harm. Yes, have carried very small arms as a backup, or "when you can't carry anything bigger". Would I choose rely on one with great faith that it will do the job? Nope.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #26

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree that a derringer is better than anything that's locked up in the safe at home, but if Mr. Bad Guy's in derringer range, he's close enough to do you great bodily harm. Unless it's a head or heart shot, he could kill you before he bleeds out. I'll stick with my .38 snubby.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 103

I've got a Davis 22 Mag derringer and it's a lot of fun to shoot. 22 Mag has 42% one shot stops but I agree w earlier post, poor sights, trigger, safety - not an ideal SD piece.

I used to load snake shot in top barrel and HP in the lower. Snake shot was pretty much useless.