Derringer? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Derringer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 165 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default Derringer

Derringers are only good as a very close last resort at in defense situation as they are designed to be in the first place. This means after you have been otherwise disarmed and am still in situation of being victim of further agression. My favorite name for small hidaway weapons like this is a "jesus" gun. I call em jesus guns because by the time I have to resort to this gun-SOMEBODY'S gunna meet jesus!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:54 AM   #12
PRM

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Derringer

I have an American Derringer .45LC/.410. Had it for 16-17 years now and it has its place. Not a tack driver, and any accurate distance is real close, but then that is what they were designed for. I spend a lot of time in the woods and the .410 with #6 shot works pretty well on snakes and such.

The best defense load I have found is one that American Derringer sells for those guns and is a 2.5 inch .410, with 000 Buck; thats 3, .357 pellets. At 5 yards you get about a 5-6 inch pattern.

Given an option I would rather have a .38 snubby, but like I said it has its place.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Over the years I've owned derringers. In S. Calif., I carried a High Standard .22 mag derringer as a back-up gun. A few years ago, I traded it for a .38spl Remington type derringer. Bigger bullet, etc., but very inacurate and it hurt my hand to shoot it. I bought a pair of bicycle gloves with padded palms, which helped a lot. I got tired of that, and just recently traded it.

I found a Remington style Cobra .22 magnum a couple months ago at a reasonable price and bought it. I hafta say, this little jewel is a delight to shoot. It is the most accurate derringer I've ever shot, good to about 20+ feet, and very manageable recoil. It is quite small and altho I never use a derringer as a SD gun, I do slip it in my pocket from time-to-time as a back-up.

Fun to shoot. Handy to carry. Cowboy fantasy. Why not?

Derringer? - General Handgun Discussion
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #14

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

My dad has a blued with White grips 22lr 2 shot (DS 22). It was a hoot but you would be better off throwing cotton balls at someone if they are not standing right next to you.

Derringers are belly guns. Stuff it deep in there belly and shoot twice.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Over the years I've owned derringers. In S. Calif., I carried a High Standard .22 mag derringer as a back-up gun. A few years ago, I traded it for a .38spl Remington type derringer. Bigger bullet, etc., but very inacurate and it hurt my hand to shoot it. I bought a pair of bicycle gloves with padded palms, which helped a lot. I got tired of that, and just recently traded it.

I found a Remington style Cobra .22 magnum a couple months ago at a reasonable price and bought it. I hafta say, this little jewel is a delight to shoot. It is the most accurate derringer I've ever shot, good to about 20+ feet, and very manageable recoil. It is quite small and altho I never use a derringer as a SD gun, I do slip it in my pocket from time-to-time as a back-up.

Fun to shoot. Handy to carry. Cowboy fantasy. Why not?

Fun to shoot for sure. Just got back from the range after shooting my .22 Mag Derringer and breaking in my new Kel-Tec P3AT. I had more fun with the Derringer and was surprised to find that I did better with it at 21' than I did with the .380 Kel-Tec. (haven't fired the .22 Mag in several years) To be fair I have to mention that after about 20 rounds of .380 the P3AT started to hit much better and I managed to get 4 in the center ring. Got six in the center ring with the .22 Mag Derringer with less than half as many rounds spent. Lots of fun.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you could do much better than the remington style derringer. there are a lot of cheap ones on the market. a friend had a Davis 38spl that was a piece of junk and almost as big and heavy as my taurus 85UL. not even in the same league. I guess that they are better than nothing.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:15 AM   #17

I've always thought they were really cool, but was never interested enough to purchase one. The only use I could see for myself at least would be a last ditch "Get outta Dodge" back up gun. They make decent pocket guns that are small enough to tote in your pocket these days which makes me wonder how much advantage a derringer would be. Just my two cents!

Old 05-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #18

I just sold a DA38 in 9mm, I had it for a couple of mounths fired 40 to 50 rds. through it. I would be ok if someone had you down and you put it against his eyeball and pulled the trigger. Not much for being accurate, I'll take my Ruger LCP and the 6 shots. John

Old 05-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #19

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've been a derringer guy since I was in the Navy, mid-late 60's. I've owned a variety over the years, including 3 High Standard .22 mags, probably the best ever made. I've also owned a .38 spl. Remington-style derringer. That bad-boy actually hurt my hand to shoot, requiring me to wear padded bicycle gloves. It was not fun to shoot and was very inaccurate, as most 2 shooters are. I've never had the chance to shoot some of those big Texas .45 caliber guns. If the .38 hurts to shoot, I can't imagine what a .45 would feel like.

I no longer have the .38. They have become trading stock, except one which was stolen in a burglary. I don't really know why I like them so much. It's kind of like eating potato chips. Once you start, it's hard to stop.

My current is a "Cobra" .22 magnum, Remington-style. Of all the derringers I've owned over the decades, this one is far and away, the most accurate and fun to shoot. I'll probably keep this one. I do not carry derringers for primary self defense, and would not recommend anyone do so. When I do carry it, it is as a back-up, or when the wife and I are out walking / bicycling about the (gated) community we live in. It's so tiny, it fits in a shirt pocket, and I can carry 6 reloads in one of those little rubber coin purses. Pretty cool.

I load it with CCI Maxi-Mag +V, 30 gr. HP ammo. I also have a few rounds of bird shot (#12 shot) rounds for putting injured birds 'n such out of their misery. They are supposedly good snake repellent too, but we have no Rattlers or other poisonous snakes in our neck of the woods, so I haven't had that opportunity.....yet.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 05-21-2008, 01:01 PM   #20

Way back I had a High Standard 22 mag. I sold it and wish now I had kept it.Right after selling it Florida started issuing CCW's.I had a wallet holster for it.Basically all they are is a belly gun,it could be handy where carrying a larger gun could be a problem.No it wouldn't be a go to carry gun but could be allot more useful then not having anything on at all.

***** NRA Patron Member *****