Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Derringer? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/derringer-230/)

firearmking 05-04-2007 04:18 PM

Derringer?

What does everyone here think about Derringer guns?

Declaration Day 05-05-2007 12:55 AM

I've never fired or even handled one, but I think it would be a neat novelty to have.

UnBound 05-10-2007 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firearmking (Post 823)

Never used one before. Would like to try one out!

retro 05-10-2007 09:10 PM

I have a .22 Mag derringer (North American Arms). It's kinda fun to shoot but I'd be lucky to hit anything more than 4 or 5 feet away with it.

It is REALLY fun to shoot at night with though, as it spits out about an 8 or 10 foot wall of fire! I'd probably burn someone with it before I could actually shoot them with it.

More of a novelty gun, really.

a1huntingsupply 05-11-2007 12:44 AM

I did a transfer on a F.M.J MOD-D .45 the other day. The guy bought it off an auction site. He said his brother had one and it was a BLAST :eek: to shoot. The guy said his hand would get sore after about three shots. Itís just a fun gun, not a good self defense choice. His was a single shot model.

I wouldn't carry one unless it was my only choice.

ArmaLube 05-11-2007 04:02 PM

I don't like 'em. Had one once, in .38 spl. Two rounds is too little, in light of the fact that some great compact autos are available. 40 S&W ought to be viewed as the minimum cartridge, in relation to stopping power. Thumb cocking in a defense pistol is also the pits.

Bob

RONSERESURPLUS 05-14-2007 01:02 PM

Derringer?

Hello all

Ron L here = Seresurplus

I've owned a few True Derringer designs, I've had one in 38 SPCL, as well as 22LR and 22 magnum, It was a companion to the Boot Knife I carried when I was Oversea's! I saw it as a True Last Ditch, but other than Crappy sites, a Bad Trigger and Iffy Safty, it wasn't all that bad?? LOL Use one if you need to and the caliber matters not near as much as shot Placement and being close enough to hit the someone or thing your shooting at!

RON

allmons 05-14-2007 02:27 PM

Remember the High Standard .22 Magnum derringer?

One of my all time favorite back ups. Fits in a pocket, very limited recoil and credible ballistics from a small bullet.

Negatives - muzzle flash is blinding and very LOUD. But for up close and personal, it's really hard to beat!

:)

EagleSix 05-15-2007 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firearmking (Post 823)

Any handgun that will go bang at least once might be better than any other gun left at home.

henryk 10-07-2007 01:48 PM

I have a High Standard Mfg. two shot .22 Mag derringer that is fun to shoot but would never consider using it for self defense.