Delay in handgun purchase
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Delay in handgun purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Delay in handgun purchase

I went to pick up a new pistol in Michigan on Friday. After filling everything out I was told I was delayed and had to wait a week to pick it up even though I have a CPL. Anyone else come across this or know why it is?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It sounds like a bunch of crap to me.My sister bought an uzi a couple years ago.When she came back after the waiting period they said they sold it!But a few days later that shop was gone.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolietGunner
It sounds like a bunch of crap to me.My sister bought an uzi a couple years ago.When she came back after the waiting period they said they sold it!But a few days later that shop was gone.
Sorry hit send on accident.Any way they gave her a store credit then vanished.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #4

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdsman View Post
I went to pick up a new pistol in Michigan on Friday. After filling everything out I was told I was delayed and had to wait a week to pick it up even though I have a CPL. Anyone else come across this or know why it is?
This happens for various reasons. If you don't provide your SSN on the 4473 form, they might be trying to ensure you're not someone else with the same name. You could also have some convictions on your record that need to be more closely reviewed before giving a proceed or denied status. The FBI will give the store a date by which they can legally give you the gun if they have not heard back.

I had a customer that got a delay a couple weeks ago. Got a call a few days later that I could proceed. Nothing to get concerned about yet.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just strange to me they sent all my info to the FBI with my cpl. Seem like they should just be able to pull that up and see that I'm clear lol oh well was just wondering about it because it never happened before.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Lately there seems to be an increase in delays and they tend to happen repeatedly once you have gotten one.
Your ssn is not required on the paperwork and I suggest leaving it out. It will have no effect on being delayed or not.
The reasons for delays are damn near infinite, as was stated above it is likely nothing to worry about, it happens to police and military constantly.
If it continues to happen you can can apply for a pin number from the ATF to avoid it, but this gives them permission to keep a file on you.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well thanks for the info. Basically it's just one more pain in the ass with the government lol

Old 05-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 905 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
that makes absolutely zero sense. Where in MI are you? With a CPL, there is no need for a background check. Let me guess, you went into a big box store? 10:1 they screwed up the paperwork!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I went to Fireline in westland Mi. They should know what they are doing all they sell is guns lol

Old 05-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
I've had it happen to me before. They call it a conditional denial here. I think the conditional part refers to an overworked clerk. She doesn't want to do it, so she's not going to do it. One that is famous for it around the local shops is a state clerk named Patricia. When Patricia strikes we almost always get approved the next day. Rarely it will run to a second day.