Defense Strategy needed - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Defense Strategy needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Is it legal to have containers of petroleum products located around your property? Google "Foo Gas", and use your imagination.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #12

Default Thanks for the many hints!

So I will get a slingshot, a bow, a mean knife. And practice.

Then I will inquire about blackpowder guns, but I am not too optimistic. I live in a country where the standard police weapon is a wooden stick. So blackpowder guns are not historic but futuristic to the police.

Though foo gas, cannons, flamethrowers, bear traps and the like capture my imagination, I can really not use them in my bedroom and in a garden, where children and dogs run around. The worry would kill me before any robbers show up. (They would have to retrain to be grave robbers. ).

Unfortunately the attackers are not brave. Which means there will most likely not be a "fair" situation. They know they have a lot of time on their hands and have in the past rather been burning the whole complex than engaging defensive inhabitants. Because of this I view Karate and such as a mere backup. If they enter, they will come with force and in large numbers. Besides I am a lousy sportsman due to an illness past.

I have tried electronic means (movement detectors, sound detectors, video) in the past for finding out who stole the chickens. But it didn't work. The incredible animal life down here gives constant false alarms. Huge fruit bats flying near motion detectors, all kinds of "things" make horrible noises at night, and when it gets dark, it really gets dark. Besides: this is rather expensive as I would need a hidden alternative power source for this equipment because these gangs cut powerlines.

I'll get a fireextinguisher. Good idea.

I will try to get a flare gun. Also good idea. But what about the other available ammo for CO2 guns? Doesn't that do anything? No matter which caliber?

I'll get some smoke grenades (I saw on one of your links) if they can be had in India. And I will create a hidden exit door in the back of the main house. Then I can throw smoke and then escape.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:37 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How about a full auto airsoft gun? True it's not lethal, but for a lightly dressed person at room ranges it would be very painful. I don't think I could stand up to someone if I was being sprayed with 6mm pellets at 350+ fps. Some of the electric (battery) guns hold 200-300 pellets and can spray them out at a fairly high rate. I have seen airsoft guns that were copies of everything from revolvers to light machine guns (actually I've seen an airsoft minigun on Youtube). Just a thought, airsoftatlanta.com

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:40 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hire a few more people and arm them with long knives, baseball bats, cross bows or spears? I have a realitive living in India, he's not so rual but is able to own firearms, he isn't a native either. Sounds like most advice give was not in favor, If you can't defend your and yours the best advice is to move.

If your money is honest you can transfer it to anywhere in the world. You have internet access so it should be easy to move your money. No glass in the windows but you have internet access? Sounds remote but can't be that far out if you have internet access. No offensse but I think your playing.

If your not a native where is it you come from?

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 11-11-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:48 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

WDB, I've worked at some pretty remote places and we still had internet access through satellite services or modems that worked using mobile phone signals. But I do agree with you that this sounds a bit fishy.

To the original poster: the gun laws in India are pretty bad, this isn't new, it started with Lord Lytton's Indian Arms Act in 1878 (which was part of the actions taken to prevent a new revolt like that of 1857). The more modern acts of 1959 and 1962, while they are still VERY restrictive when compared to other countries, do give you some options to legally acquire guns.

For instance, you can get a license if you belong to a skeet shooting club. They use shotguns to shoot skeet, which incidentally would work really well against multiple attackers. And guess what? According to the 1959 act, shotguns are legal (there's a barrel length minimum, but that's fine).

There's also a provision in the law for guns used for crop and farm animal protection. This might work even better for you.

I'm not Indian, and I'm not a lawyer (I'm a historian/anthropologist, that's the only reason why I've got some idea of the law down there). In my humble opinion, you need to talk to a good lawyer who really knows the local gun laws and just get a bloody shotgun or three.

The kind of raid you're describing seems dangerous as hell. As much as I love my longbow, I'd feel much better with my Remington 870 in such a situation.

Oh, and if getting a permit as a foreigner is imposible, get one for one of your employees. Or check to see if you can bring in weapons from wherever you're from (in most countries you can do this, at least for sporting use).

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 11-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #16

Default Thanks again!

Ok, autoairsoft.. that means some kind of paintball gun?

It was my initial idea, that a lot of little stings would be sufficient. But the problem I see now is, that the more I shoot with such a rifle, the less power the bullets have. And what might be enough against one or two attackers might prove too little against 10 or 15.

@wdb: If I had the money I would simply have hired some guards and not asked these questions. I am not broke but certainly not rich enough to hire people that sit around until some remote night. Besides I think that it is quite difficult to find someone in India who will put his life on the line for some rupees. I think it was in 2002 when I read in a national newspaper (of India) that a group of bandits had assaulted the prime ministers garden and stole some plant. That would have been curious enough, but it went on to say that his house was in a tightly controlled area and his mansion had guards with automatic weapons. When asked why the guards fled, the head of security said "the attackers were armed!". I don't need guards who take the money when the sun shines and run during an attack.

Concerning money: you may transfer money alright, but you will encounter consequences later if this was not done in the right fashion. There is tax in both countries, there is capital movement control. If I can't prove where I have it from in India my home state in Europe will charge me almost half of it in income tax. And most of my money is in the farm which is a company. My lawyer says it is difficult at the least. Actually what is most different from Europe is the missing information. In Europe I was used to just buy a book on the subject and somehow be informed but everytime I tried that in India I found it to be outdated, not referring to my area, not including important dimensions of the problem and so on.

About glass windows: I didn't refer this info to make anyone think I was poor, but to make them accurately judge the situation. Our glass windows are not "missing". When we built the premises we had to decide wether we wanted sealed off buildings with air conditioning or rather local style houses with an open architecture so that wind will flow through the buildings. The latter was our choice and it turned out to be a very good one, talking about comfort and feeling like a part of nature.

@francis: My lawyer told me no about guns, but I will inquire of him the things you mentioned, especially the part about farm guns. He lives in the city, maybe he just didn't think of that. Great hint! Thank you! About giving guns to my servants: no, really. People who regularly have a fit and hit their women and children should not have a shotgun while I don't. And doing something fishy (gun in my hand, licensed to them) would open up the road for blackmail and stuff. About importing: no way. In my own country you almost can't get a supersoaker without hassle.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:28 AM   #17
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I might come off as the expected American but if you can't protect you and yours and you live in an area as you described taking a tax hit on your funds is a small thing compared to your life and that of your family. You can always make more money but you can't replace your life or that of a family member. It doesn't sound like your trapped and don't have means to leave the area. Sounds like you risk you and yours to maintain the lifestyle you enjoy.

Everything you expressed screams get out. Every option provided you reasoned away. Best I can offer is become a martial arts master yesterday and teach ninja skills to your family. Or hide in the corner with a sharp stick.

You understand the threat, you know your limitations for defense. Clearly logic doesn't work for you or you are over playing the conditions. Either way I can't offer any more advise.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #18

Default Reply

Move back to Europe. Not trying to be funny here. Just understand in America we have personal assault rifles with big clips. SemiAuto pistols, oh and the right to use them.

Come on over!

Last edited by Safetyguy; 11-22-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Adding anothe rcomment

Old 11-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #19

I sort of agree with the last couple of posts, it seems like there is no answer to your situation... it makes me appreciate my right to bare arms here in America. I really wish you were able to exercise that same right.

You might look into a "potato gun," something another poster mentioned on page 1. I made one when I was 18 or so with a buddy of mine. A couple of US dollars in PVC piping, some glue, a few cans of hair spray, and a grill lighter or some sort of spark source and you're good to go. Make 10-15 of them (seriously) and hide them around the house. They're around the size of a rifle, so you'll have to think about where to hide them, and store them with "ammo" in them. They're not all that accurate from far distances, but if you get a shot from 15 feet or so, you're likely to make contact. Pick a good ammo source (you can seriously pick almost anything), load up, and place them around your house. They're cheap to make, cheap to load, and easy to fire. You'll need to practice a lot, so that you get down the exact amount of spray to fill with, and how to shoot effectively and accurately, but you should practice a lot with any weapon anyway.

Also, get a few flares and shoot them off so the light the opposite side of the attackers, as someone else mentioned, so that you can see the attackers.

Of course, the best idea has been your own: build a hidden exit from the house at the back, and take everyone out that door. Carry one of the potato guns loaded with you, and anyone else you trust to fire one (seriously, they're easy to use and they don't go off accidentally - young kids here make them!). While they probably won't kill anyone, they make decent noise (to scare), and if you encounter a small group of the guys together (say, blocking your exit way), you and your partner(s) could fire 2 or 3 shots total at the intruders, hit them in the chest, and definitely knock them back enough to stun them and let you over take them.

Hope this helps...

Old 11-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

That really does not surprise me that guards in some countries are cowardly. Bravery comes from freedom, freedom comes from bravery. People that have been subjucated for generations are not known for their fortitude. India, Pakistan, many African countries, France...not known for their widespread acts of defiance and bravery.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball