Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   decocking question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/decocking-question-85731/)

Lovegun 03-04-2013 04:38 AM

decocking question

Is it ok to pull thr trigger when the gun is decocked/in safety?

danf_fl 03-04-2013 10:13 AM

I don't know why you would want to do that.

Some handguns with decockers will go to double action and fire.
Some single actions (1911s) COULD fire if the safety is taken off. That is one safety test recommended. Put it on safe, pull the trigger, release trigger, take off safe. If it fires, it failed.
How many 1911s out could fail? I have no idea. What causes the failure? The safety blocks the sear. Should the safety fail to block the sear correctly, the sear could go to a position that it is not properly latched and slip allowing the handgun to fire without a finger on the trigger.

HOSSFLY 03-04-2013 11:45 AM

Think i'll just say NO!

nosaj 03-04-2013 11:50 AM

My 9mm has a de-cocker but no safety. I keep clear of the trigger at all times....unless it's unloaded or time to go bang.

JonM 03-04-2013 12:04 PM

The purpose of the trigger is to make the firing pin hit a primer. Its not for checking your safety mechanism.

While a function check is part of routine maintenence where you check for such things, doing so on a loaded firearm isnt wise.

Dont tempt the fates, they will often take you up on your offering.

70cuda383 03-04-2013 12:28 PM

"Is pulling the trigger to lower the hammer safe?"

Wasn't one of the universal rules of firearms safety "keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire?" Wouldn't pulling the trigger to lower the hammer violate that safety rule?

you're asking if it's safe to violate a safety rule? :confused:

What happens when you pull the trigger to lower the hammer, and it slips out of your thumb and snaps down instead of being gently lowered?

robocop10mm 03-04-2013 12:30 PM

#1, WHAT GUN? Just throwing a question like that out there with out any more info is just silly.

#2, I agree the trigger is for ONE thing, making the gun go bang. Using it to test a safety mechanism is like putting your car in park and running the throttle to redline and hoping the transmission does not engage and cause you to run over your own child, Irresponsible at best.

Lovegun 03-04-2013 12:40 PM

Sorry I should have prefaced it. I never actually pulled the trigger. I was giving my baby eagle its first cleaningand I was just wondering what goes on when the gun is decocked (checked to make sure its unloaded) and if the trigger gets pulled. I thought everything was disengaged from the trigger when decocked but google didnt have any answers for me as to how the decocking mechanism worked.

FrontierTCB 03-04-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovegun
Sorry I should have prefaced it. I never actually pulled the trigger. I was giving my baby eagle its first cleaningand I was just wondering what goes on when the gun is decocked (checked to make sure its unloaded) and if the trigger gets pulled. I thought everything was disengaged from the trigger when decocked but google didnt have any answers for me as to how the decocking mechanism worked.

GOOGLE is a horrible firearms instructor and a pretty $h1tty gunsmith!

70cuda383 03-04-2013 01:14 PM

if the gun is unloaded and you know that it's unloaded because you just unloaded it and checked to make sure it was unloaded, and you did not forget to clear the chamber...

then yea, you could safely pull the trigger to release the sear, and ease the hammer down with your thumb.

...is that your question? or do I still not understand it?