Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Decisions to make (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/decisions-make-105230/)

SSGN_Doc 03-19-2014 12:44 AM

Decisions to make

Looking at getting anther handgun. Mostly for range use. Ammo in my area is still a bit scarce for my favorites (9mm and .45). Currently renting a place and don't have all of my reloading gear set up.

.40 is pretty available all around the area and fairly reasonable in price.

.357 mag and 10mm are also pretty widely available but the prices are still pretty high.

In a .357 I was thinking about a Ruger GP100 in 4" if I can find one.

In 10mm I'd go with a Glock 20 slim frame or 4th gen.

But don't know what is go for in a .40. I looked at a Sig 229 a Glock 23 (have not liked shooting the 23 like I do my 9mm and .45 Glocks).

So looking for some opinions. It may end up being what I can find for a reasonable price, but a .40 looks like it may be easiest to feed for now.

Anna_Purna 03-19-2014 12:46 AM

I like revolvers, and prefer CZ's for autos. But hold them all and tell us what one you like best :)

SSGN_Doc 03-19-2014 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1533556)
I like revolvers, and prefer CZ's for autos. But hold them all and tell us what one you like best :)

I had considered a CZ 75. Just because it is another classic design. The ones I have shot have only presented me with one dislike. The trigger shape. An odd complaint but I find it unnaturally dished. Some people complain about Glock grip angles though so I guess ergonomics still play into personal preferences. The only other thing that kept me from putting the CZ 75 on the list at this time, is that I would want the 75 to be a 9mm as the classic was designed for. At this time I'm trying to add a more available caliber. I have a lotta 9s to feed already.

Anna_Purna 03-19-2014 01:19 AM

Do u have a revolver?

And have you held the single action CZ?

SSGN_Doc 03-19-2014 01:54 AM

I don't currently have a center fire revolver. Traded off my old model 29, and my Ruger SP101. I do want to add a .357 back into the mix. Had decided the GP100 is about the right size and balance. Nice for taking new shooter to the range and letting them run some .38 specials through it. Nice to have ability to run some mags through it for when more energy is required.

In my area .38 is still hard to find and mag loads are running north of $30.

.40 is running right around $20 (some higher some lower in price).

Jagermeister 03-19-2014 01:55 AM

HK USP in .40 handles the snappy round quite well! The frame is made for high pressure rounds too. I have no problems handling mine and very accurate. My other choice would be the Sig of course.

SSGN_Doc 03-19-2014 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister (Post 1533684)
HK USP in .40 handles the snappy round quite well! The frame is made for high pressure rounds too. I have no problems handling mine and very accurate. My other choice would be the Sig of course.

There are certain things I don't like about HK. But they make nice guns. If I could find a USP sed at a reasonable price I would definitely consider it. I just don't like some of their stupid proprietary games, like a non-standard rail, $50+ mags, and a crappy attitude to individual gun owners over agencies when it comes to CS. Their plastic is pretty pricey too compared to Sig, Glock, Smith and Wesson, etc. at least Sigs polymer frames run at a significantly lower price point than their alloy frames.

danf_fl 03-19-2014 10:39 AM

Most 10mm can be converted to use .40S&W with a barrel swap and mag change.

A .40S&W XDm can be converted to shoot 9mm the same way.

John_Deer 03-19-2014 10:55 AM

I have shot Glocks with the lone wolf kits in them. Balance is an issue for Glock in the stock configuration. You add more weight to the top of a Glock I would rather shoot a hi point. If you are buying a conversion kit you wanted a 9mm anyway. Why not just get a 9mm? It's not like you are going to find any more $8 a box 9mm ammo.

JW357 03-19-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1533682)
I don't currently have a center fire revolver.

Doc, I found your problem.

My vote would be for the .357 over the other choices you're pondering. The GP100 is a heck of a wheel gun and I'm quite confident you will be happy with it.

But if you really are leaning towards .40 S&W because of the price of ammo and availability of it, the obvious answer is "go with what fits your hand the best."

Another to consider of course is the M&P line. That's my personal preference for polymer guns. You can get a 40/357 and get barrels/mags for 40/357/9mm. Three guns in one.