Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Decisions, decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
And if you drop a 1911 down to a 3" barrel dosen't accuracy suffer?

The only Colts the gun shop had in stock were revolvers. And for that....umm, Assult Revolver? No.
Depends what you plan to do with your gun. My defender is a PD carry piece. Deadly at CQB! (~4M) I use my AR for the reach out shots.

I don't mean to rub it in but here's my 17 yo daughter working my Colt Government .45 ACP.

That head shot is not a set-up. She's that good!

And her double tap follow-up.

Try the .45 ACP, you'll love it!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-21-2009, 03:02 AM   #12

What's it for?

I guess shooting. Taking it to the range, having fun. Personal defense if it comes to that. And possibly a carry weapon when I get my permit.

I dunno, the 1911s I held just felt too big somehow. I think they were both Colts with 5" barrels. For all my size (6' 3" 260 lbs) , I have relatively small hands.

The biggest reason I'm shying away from .45 is cost of ammunition and relative difficulty finding them. I want something I can fire 100 rounds or more without crushing the wallet at least until my profficiency gets a bit higher.

I'll have to check out both the Browning and CZ next visit.

As far as renting guns, there are two local ranges. One rents primarily glocks, with one taurus revolver and a Mk III .22lr. and is a very good range, and the one I frequent. It's just a bit "low budget" as far as selection of rentals. The other rents just about anything from .22lr to ARs and AKs, but the range is down right dangerous (thug wannabe idiots who couldn't find the paper with a road map practicing their drive-by skills and NO supervision) I refuse to shoot there again. I'm gonna try another one a bit further out see what they have.

Thanks for the (informative) input, this is why I'm a member here.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:06 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If there are any FTF members in your neck of the woods, see if you can set up a range day. I'm sure I'm not alone here when I say that I enjoy helping new shooters. Reach out a bit.

You may also want to check out other ranges in your area. There must be more.

Good luck and keep us informed.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Your budget opens all but the most expensive doors. You can get a great 9mm that meets any specific purpose for around $500. I suppose the first question is whether or not you want a ploymer gun. Answer that question, and you've cut your list in half either way.

Hard to go wrong with Springfield XD9, Ruger sr9, or almost anything from CZ. CZ has a pretty nice plastic option now in the P-07 Duty, and all their steel guns are good values.

Here's a page running off someone's take on "the best nines"...take it for whatever you think it's worth.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

+1 for the CZ's!!!!!

I like the cz75b's.

I'd trade my beretta 92f for one in a heartbeat, probably will.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #16

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

What ranges in Atlanta do you use Kain? I lived in Marietta for 5 years before moving to SE GA. I used to shoot at Wild West Traders on Austell Road in Smyrna just about every weekend and they have a good selection of rentals. Go early on the weekends though as the "young Glockers" come out in force later in the day.

As far as buying guns in the Atlanta, there is a great used market. Right now a fella I know is selling a lightly used XDM 9mm at a very good price. I know this guy personally and this will be a very nice gun - have no doubt. Here's the link to his ad on our local GA forum:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34620

(Also Kain, if you're not a member of this forum yet be sure to join up as everything you want to know about GA gun laws is here)

For stores, Adventure Outdoors has the best handgun stock in Atlanta and generally good prices as well. My favorite store though is Big Woods Goods up in Canton. The owner, Bill Miller, is a great fella and sells at great prices. He is also in the process of building a range near the store. I bought this Colt Commander NIB at Bill's store for $695 + tax - a good deal to be sure...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-21-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #17

Other people have already thrown it out there, so I will just continue. I like the CZ I purchased recently. I did a write up in the Range Report section if you want to read it. The pistol is accurate, simple to maintain and was priced reasonably.

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 08-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
+1 for the CZ's!!!!!

I like the cz75b's.

I'd trade my beretta 92f for one in a heartbeat, probably will.
I bought a 75b just a few weeks back. I was on my way to pick up an SR9 and checked in with a smaller dealer just in case they had some great deal. They just happened to have a new 75b for $409. That's about $150 below typical retail, so I pounced. No regrets so far, great little gun for the money.

There are plenty of decent 9's out there, but CZ really has an impressive track record with that caliber. And with the P-07 Duty, it appears they're set on making a dent in the plastic market. If/when I go looking for a polymer gun at some point, it'll probably come down the the P-07 or an XD.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
What ranges in Atlanta do you use Kain?
Yeah, I usually just say "Atlanta" because it's easier to find on a map. I live in Lilburn which is a suburb of ATL on the north east side. I usuallly go to mastergunman in Stone Mountain. But Bullseye in Lawrenceville is the garbage range to which I referred. The gun store I went to is David's Gun Room in Norcross. Which has been the best so far as far as sales staff being willing to talk to me and actually touch the guns. Bass Pro has more of a "look at 'em through the glass" philosophy.

I try not to travel any further than I have to, as my truck is "not street legal" and "likely to burst into flames at a moments notice" So anything on the west side would likely be passed on unless I was going specifically to buy at a good price.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
I try not to travel any further than I have to, as my truck is "not street legal" and "likely to burst into flames at a moments notice"
I used to have a '74 Thunderbird just like that.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams