Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Decisions, decisions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/decisions-decisions-17170/)

Kain 08-21-2009 01:11 AM

Decisions, decisions

I've decided that I actually like shooting pistols rather much. However the two I have leave me wanting more.

The HP22a is fun to shoot, but inaccurate much over 10 yards and it feels kinda like a toy in my hands.

The Ruger is acurate but it's kinda like furnature from Ikea. Awkward, ugly and difficult to assemble.

And frankly I want something with a little more...umph. I'm thinking 9mm due to it's accuracy, relatively low cost, and wide-spread avilibility. After looking around for a bit, I found a couple I'd handle and discuss with the local purveyor of firearms goodness. I looked at the XD9, the M&P9, and the Sigma.
The guys at the store roundly panned the Sigma saying for just a bit more coin, the M&P was a MUCH better gun. And out of the three I definitely liked the M&P the best. I really liked the 17+1 rd capicity.

Any other 9mm suggestions? How about persuasive reasons for a different caliber? Cost is somewhat importent, but not overly so. I'd like to keep it under $800. This won't be an immediate purchase, but as funds permit. I'm just doing research right now.

And for fear of lynching at the hands of some of the more *ahem* rabid supporters of such, I don't want a 1911 just yet. I handled a couple and they just felt a bit too large for my tastes. Myabe it'll be another step up in the future...but not just yet.

canebrake 08-21-2009 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Too big?? 1911 too large???

Try this one:

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...gentO7810D.jpg

^ Colt New Agent 3" barrel, .45 ACP

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...e/Defender.jpg

^ Colt Defender 3" barrel, .45 ACP

Or how about this 9 mike mike? (The only one I will own besides my P08)

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ebrake/bhp.jpg

^ The Browning High Power

Attachment 5350

And then there is the Mateba Autorevolver 6 Unica 8 3/8" .454 Casull. Man Up!

WDB 08-21-2009 01:55 AM

The M&P is a good choice and one I carry in 45 most of the time but do own one in 9mm as well. Don't discount Ruger they make truly fime pistols and some nice ones in 9mm Nothing like "Ikea, Awkward, ugly and difficult to assemble". I expect that statement was made due to lack of expereince with firearms. What is your intended use for the pistol (target shooting, home defense, personal carry)? Best to find a range that rents and shoot as many as possible. At your price range there are many oprions, I would suggest you spend some of that on shooting/renting several firearms and training.

Good luck and let us know what pistol you decide to purchase.

SGT-MILLER 08-21-2009 02:00 AM

If you are set on getting a polymer handgun, I highly recommend the XD lineup. The 4 inch service models offer the best versatility. You can carry them concealed, and the barrel length is sufficient enough for multiple scenarios (close range/farther ranges).

Besides, they sure do look the part:

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/q...ghtmare002.jpg

Kain 08-21-2009 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDB (Post 148144)
Don't discount Ruger ... Nothing like "Ikea, Awkward, ugly and difficult to assemble"

Nope I have a Mk1. I was being glib, but it IS ugly.

And if you drop a 1911 down to a 3" barrel dosen't accuracy suffer?

The only Colts the gun shop had in stock were revolvers. And for that....umm, Assult Revolver? No.

c3shooter 08-21-2009 02:08 AM

Well. if you have your heart set on a 9mm, why not get the one that John Browning got right- the Browning Hi-Power? Love mine. Simple, accurate, reliable. 13+1, adjustable sights, ambi-safety. And best- no tupperware. :D

CA357 08-21-2009 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain (Post 148155)
...And if you drop a 1911 down to a 3" barrel dosen't accuracy suffer?

A bit, but recoil greatly increases and can make the pistol downright snappy. :eek:

If you want to stay with 9mm, the XD and the M&P are becoming the gold standard of nines. However, the Browning Hi Power that Cane posted is referred to as the "King of the nines" for a reason. I highly suggest you look at one. It is wonderful to handle & shoot.

Another pistol that I highly recommend is the CZ 75B in 9mm. It's been in use in Europe with military and police for a long time and is a very solid and dependable pistol. It's an all steel pistol and it's a good one. However, CZ also makes a few lighter alloy and polymer models. Definitely look at CZ's.

WDB 08-21-2009 02:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain (Post 148155)
Nope I have a Mk1. I was being glib, but it IS ugly.

And if you drop a 1911 down to a 3" barrel dosen't accuracy suffer?

The only Colts the gun shop had in stock were revolvers. And for that....umm, Assult Revolver? No.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder:) I'll let the 1911 masters tell you about the 3" barrel. What is your intended use for the pistol? It will help members give you better advice.

Not knowing your intended use I added a pic (trying to keep up with Sgt Miller's eye candy) Top is a FNP-40 with laser sight, bottom is S&W M&P 45 with a light/laser.

Franciscomv 08-21-2009 02:24 AM

I've got an M&P in 9mm, and it's an OK weapon. It hits where you aim, it's comfortable and doesn't jam. I bought it to have a weapon that my girlfriend could fire as well and I didn't like it much at first, but I've warmed up to it. The trigger isn't as hard to get used to as I thought at first. It's a very practical handgun.

Browning HPs are not available in my country, otherwise I'd have bought one of those in a heartbeat. I just prefer single action semiautos.

You mentioned 1911s being too big, which did you handle? Since most of them are single stack guns, they are actually quite a bit slimmer than a double stack 9mm gun like the M&P. It's a fantastic platform, and there are some available in 9mm.

Like I always advice in these cases, try to find a range that rents the guns you're interested in and try them out. I was about to buy a Glock once, thank God I actually tried it before spending my hard earned dollars on a gun I would have grown to hate.

Stormbilly 08-21-2009 02:27 AM

If you're looking for a 9mm, look at the cz SP-01 (18+1 rounds:D ), or it's "little" brother the cz P-01 (or cz 75 compact). I have the P-01, and my brother has the SP-01. I cannot say enough good things about them, very accurate and reliable; and probably shoot like a gun $300 more. we got ours for less than $600 each ($579 if I remember correctly).

Might be something worth looking into. Oh, and I think the grip ergonomics on these are better than any bottom feeder I've felt outside of a 1911 platform. They fit the hand like perfection.