Decision between .380 & .38? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Decision between .380 & .38?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 02:15 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Something tells me he didn't type that with a grin on his face........

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-08-2010, 02:20 AM   #22

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGA View Post
Excuse me, I thought the OP said, "Bersa", which I certainly don't consider to be a first-rate firearm. It's just a smidgen above a Lorcin, which is just a smidgen above a tomato can.
Let me guess.... you own a glock, and never had a Bersa...
Why you don't consider the Bersa a "first-rate" firearm?
I know that Bersa Thunder 380 isn't a Sig P210, but compare it with Locrin, Jimenez, Phoenix and other saturday night specials?!...
I have a Walter, and I had a Bersa... and I like more the Bersa than the Walther... the only thing that I admit that lacks of A1 quality is the plastic grips, but after you wear them off a little they are perfect.
I'm not saying that the Bersa is better than the LCR (but I would prefer it over the LCP) ...just is a valid option, both are great guns. I just don't like people bashing a brand just because.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 03-08-2010, 04:24 AM   #23

Me personaly I have a Taurus .357 Mag that I shoot .38 special out of it really breaks down in my mind to what you can handle do you want to be able to take the target down in one shot with a little recoil or 4 or 5 shot with vary little recoil it all about control for me at least.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:09 AM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From what I can tell, if you like .380 ACP (Not enough penetration for me, personally), the Bersa's a solid little shooter. I've shot one at the range, worked nicely, no jams or anything even though it was a rental beater. It's an entry-level gun, for sure, and might not have the fit and finish of, say, a Sig, but it's not made from "pot metal," and it'll do its job.

EDIT: If you're concerned about recoil, why not check out a Ruger SP101 in .327 Magnum? You sacrifice a little bit of diameter, but gain a lot of penetration, and it's only a little more recoil than .38 spl.

Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM

Old 03-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 296 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGA View Post
Excuse me, I thought the OP said, "Bersa", which I certainly don't consider to be a first-rate firearm. It's just a smidgen above a Lorcin, which is just a smidgen above a tomato can.
I lack personal experience with Bersas, but I certainly have to question this post. The second hand opinions I've heard about Bersa approach 100% positive. They've got a reputation as an affordable, high quality firearm.

I wouldn't choose a Bersa 380 myself, because I think their weight (in contrast to the Ruger) sort of defeats the purpose of a pocket pistol to some extent. And while I've heard good things about their 9mm, I'd fork over the extra $100 for a CZ. But Bersa does have a rep as a very high functioning gun from what I understand...not a maker to be so carelessly dismissed.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
I lack personal experience with Bersas, but I certainly have to question this post. The second hand opinions I've heard about Bersa approach 100% positive. They've got a reputation as an affordable, high quality firearm.

I wouldn't choose a Bersa 380 myself, because I think their weight (in contrast to the Ruger) sort of defeats the purpose of a pocket pistol to some extent. And while I've heard good things about their 9mm, I'd fork over the extra $100 for a CZ. But Bersa does have a rep as a very high functioning gun from what I understand...not a maker to be so carelessly dismissed.

Maybe it's not hitting the ten ring at 100yards? Then you just have to junk it.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #27

Liked 2082 Times on 1148 Posts
Likes Given: 1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
From what I can tell, if you like .380 ACP (Not enough penetration for me, personally), the Bersa's a solid little shooter. I've shot one at the range, worked nicely, no jams or anything even though it was a rental beater. It's an entry-level gun, for sure, and might not have the fit and finish of, say, a Sig, but it's not made from "pot metal," and it'll do its job.

EDIT: If you're concerned about recoil, why not check out a Ruger SP101 in .327 Magnum? You sacrifice a little bit of diameter, but gain a lot of penetration, and it's only a little more recoil than .38 spl.
I read an article about the 327 mag cartrige. Sounds like it could be a real contender for those that are recoil sensitive.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #28

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post

I already have the GP100 in .357 so fire power is not the issue, but the gun is a little big for CC. However the SP101 might be a good consideration as an alternative to the LCR. This way if I was really concerned about "fire power" while in CC mode I could drop some .357's in.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #29

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have both the LCR and Bersa .380 and I like them both. When I get my CCL I'll probably keep the LCR on me most of the time though. More stopping power.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
I already have the GP100 in .357 so fire power is not the issue, but the gun is a little big for CC. However the SP101 might be a good consideration as an alternative to the LCR. This way if I was really concerned about "fire power" while in CC mode I could drop some .357's in.
That "2" in ".327" wasn't a typo. It's a .32-caliber revolver cartridge that has almost as much penetration as, but less recoil than the .357 magnum.
Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM