Decision between .380 & .38? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Decision between .380 & .38?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Ruger > Bersa
38sp > .380acp

Seems easy enough to me. Now if it was LCR vs LCP, it'd be a little closer race. The Bersas are supposed to be very solid guns, but I believe they're on the heavier side for pocket pistols.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Personally I"d take a 38 over a 380 any day of the week. I owned the Bersa 380 and got rid of it soon after. It was more about the round than the weapon though.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Personally I would rather have a 38 over a 380, it's slightly hotter. I would also take a Ruger over a Bersa any day of the week. For me it's a no brainer, Ruger LCR.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #14

.380 is a shortened 9mm round. It is an round made to be chamber in automatics.

The .38 special is a round made for revolvers.

Generally the .380 in considered " less potent" than the .38 special, however modern ammo can bring the .380 a close second to the .38 special.

Personally I don't like the LCP because you have to have a crushing trigger finger to shoot that gun, which completely compromises accuracy. I hope you are refering to the LCR as others have posted. This is in my opinion a much better gun and easier to shoot. And dare say more accurate. Don't know anything about the Bersa. Never owned one or shot one. Whatever you choose good luck. If you have not shot them at least go and pull the trigger at the store and you will know what I am saying.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #15

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGA View Post
pot metal Bersa
Really? The Bersa frame is made from aluminum and the slide from steel, the Bersa is an outstanding little gun, well made and great value.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 03-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #16

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
Really? The Bersa frame is made from aluminum and the slide from steel, the Bersa is an outstanding little gun, well made and great value.
My sentiments exactly, I bought a pre Thunder model 83 .380 Bersa and the only real difference is that it's got a steel frame. The .380 round is not really up to my own stopping standards (I like weapons that have a .4 number to begin with), that being said as accurate as the Bersa is, with lots of practice, it could be a trusty ccw. One great problem is ammo availability, at least in the area I live. In the nearly one year I've owned the Bersa I have only seen ammo available three times. The first time it was one 100 round box of Remington JHP (which I bought), then a Winchester white box (didn't have the cash to get it) and just a few days ago one lonely box of Federal 50 round (too bad as I was really short on cash), the lack of availability is not good and as well the .380 ammo is spendy as compared to .38 ammo. Take all things into consideration.

Last edited by Viking; 03-07-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #17

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

I've always liked the Bersa Thunder. I really like the 30 round snail mag. I was not a big .380 fan until I bought my Sig P230 years ago. The do cycle fast and are accurate.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Ruger > Bersa
38sp > .380acp

Seems easy enough to me. Now if it was LCR vs LCP, it'd be a little closer race. The Bersas are supposed to be very solid guns, but I believe they're on the heavier side for pocket pistols.
Excellent advice.
If you are gonna go with a .380, buy the Ruger LCP. It's a better gun than ANY Bersa. Just my opinion.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 03-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGA View Post
Excuse me, I thought the OP said, "Bersa", which I certainly don't consider to be a first-rate firearm. It's just a smidgen above a Lorcin, which is just a smidgen above a tomato can.

.........which is a smidgen above a glock.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
.........which is a smidgen above a glock.
Now that was funny Goju.

My choice would be .38 Speical over .380ACP.
Just compare both bullets side by side.